Basic Tips for grafters #4 Why grafts fail

That is a super cute dog!

1 Like

They are maybe 6-8 inches. I didn’t actually count the buds. (Which are now under Parafilm.)

Cleft graft? I cut the bottom of the scion into a “V”, split the stock, shoved the “V” until the stock, tied it up with rubber bands, and covered the whole shebang with Parafilm.

1 Like

Here’s a conversation thread on Long Scions where you’ll see names of people who use a lot of long scions:

1 Like

Thanks, that was exactly what I was looking for.

I think the damage I did to the trunk now bothers me more than the length of the scion, but I expect it will heal if I can keep the critters off of it. And I got a really good join between the stock and the scion.

Regarding temperature to callous the graft of plums, will a new bench graft callous if its placed outside and the temperature is above 60 during part of the day, but in the 40’s - 50’s ( and possibly thirties ) at night? ( grafts are in pots )

Well, they took a while to sprout, but all my grafts this year seem to have taken. I nipped off the sprouting buds on the stock today, in the hopes of sending more nutrition towards the scions.

3 Likes