Best plums of 2016- Northeast report

Howard miracle is a fantastic plum. It tastes great, very unusual combination of tropical-like flavors, I think I can taste a little bit of pineapple and mango in it. Very juicy. Also, very small pit and not sour near the pit. My wife absolutely loves this plum, she says it’s the best fruit we grow.

My tree was planted in 2015, it produced about 30 fruit last year and is completely loaded this year. The fruit ripen gradually and hang on the tree for a very long time, we have been eating several plums a day since July 3rd and will likely have plums from this tree until the end of August. Also, the tree has a nice spreading shape, naturally wide branch angles unlike many plums that want to grow up. I’m considering adding one more HM tree.

I think that the story about HM being an E/A plum hybrid is a legend, I vaguely remember reading that genetic analysis showed that it does not have any E. plum in it. Some sources say that HM’s “green” parent was a green-skinned Asian plum and not a greengage.

5 Likes

Like Maria,I grafted a Howard Miracle from Bob Purvis.Mine was a bench graft to some kind of Plum or Pluot seedling,done a few years ago.The tree grew well and was planted about two years ago.There was a small amount of fruit last year,but were gone before any sampling could be done.No fruit this time though. Brady

2 Likes

Bradybb, what do you use as a pollinizer? I planted a shiro and Howard miracle. The shiro bloom is 90% done by the time my hm starts blooming. I am thinking of planting a methley and a satsuma but I don’t know it fi would have the overlap I need.

2 Likes

There is a multi-grafted tree right next to the Howard Miracle,with Shiro,Santa Rosa and a few others on that.On the other side is a Flavor Grenade.
I try to hand pollinate with blooms that are corresponding.
Dave Wilson Nursery suggests Santa Rosa or Beauty,which is grafted to a nearby tree also. Brady

2 Likes

This July I was blessed with about 10 Opal plums on my 2 year old Krymsk 1 tree. They had a very nice flavor. I can’t describe it due to my limited experience with plums, but after waiting 7 years for an in-ground Stanley to produce I was tickled pink!

6 Likes

How do you like Flavor Grenade? My graft broke a few years ago and i haven’t had fruit since. I just finished picking the last of my Geo Pride. Very good pluot in my opinion. Still have Flavor Queen and Flavor King left and that is it.

1 Like

Right now,it’s probably in the top 5 of Plums that I like,real close in character to Emerald Beaut.
There is a vendor at the local farmers market,that comes from eastern Washington and has two trees.I always look forward to getting some from them,around September. Brady

1 Like

Its a top notch fruit in my opinion. Some knock it for being too sweet and one dimensional but in my opinion it has the best texture of any plum or plum hybrid I’ve ever eaten. Flavor King and Supreme might trumping in flavor but it reigns supreme in the texture department. If you can grow pluot its a must have fruit in my book. Better than any straight plum I’ve ever tried.

1 Like

I thought emerald beaut doesn’t do well here. Do you grow it or get it at farmers market. Found a yellow egg plum tree going to put one in on Allan’s comment. Maybe I should reconsider my options. Too many wants not enough room and my wife who thinks I am nuts for wanting so many :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

fullplate,
Where is your location?I have a small tree in a greenhouse,which might be needed in western Washington,because of the late ripening time.No fruit yet,maybe next year.
I visited the SF Bay area in the Fall and the Plum is very popular at the farmers markets.Brady

1 Like

Salmon creek, Felida area Vancouver Wash. greenhouse makes sense should have realized. Ok thanks for info. Now trying to figure how to cram in 7 more trees…

1 Like

@Vincent_8B how did the Seneca taste compared to Italian or other pnw-friendly plums?

2 Likes

@tubig Seneca fruits are very good size but very few of them, some year no fruit at all . Tasting not too great as its information described (I gave it 6 in the 10 scale). My tree was too tall and the rootstock wasn’t strong enough to support its weight. So I just removed it last Fall. I recommend Greengage or Stanley plum are better choices than Seneca in Pacific Northwest.

2 Likes

In the northeast, you have to be careful about evaluating plums for their productivity. Some need pollinizers and are not compatible with all other plums but there are other more mysterious issues in play. I don’t know if performance is generally more predictable in the west… I only grew J. plums when I lived there and the few I grew tended to be reliable squirrel and coon food. That was half a century ago.

Nevertheless, it wouldn’t surprise me if a Cornell bred plum did poorly out west.

3 Likes

@Vincent_8B Have you tasted french plum in pnw? How would you rate and rank it vs other euros including Seneca?

2 Likes

@tubig I had D’entry 707 and Imperial Epineuse plum from Raintree nursery about 5 years old. The 707 had a few small fruit every year then dropped before ripe. And Imperial never fruiting yet. Still waiting a few more years then make decision. Don’t have a chance to taste them yet. Beside then that I have some seedling plum. They’re the best tasting quality plum. If you would like cherry plum. I would recommend Nadia and Sweet treat they’re wonderful flavor fruit to me. Below picture of my Nadia blooming this year.

7 Likes

@Vincent_8B thanks for the tip, ive had my sight on Nadia this year!

2 Likes

@Vincent_8B was candy heart pluerry ever good in your area?

2 Likes

@tubig. Too wet during blooming. Mine never fruit yet looked wasn’t so healthy and removed a few years ago. Some time I would like to try planting it again on different rootstock but not much room left. Any of you in Pacific Northwest success with Candy heart Pluerry please let us know here. Very appreciated.

2 Likes

D’entry 707 French prune plum 8.26.23
Excellent outstanding quality tasting prune plum. It’s ready to harvest in Seattle areas from last week of August to first week of September.

10 Likes