Best time to spray copper?

Hi! I spray at turkey day, close to valentines day and lastly at Easterr. So easy for me to remember! And i use a sticker.

1 Like

I thought copper is no good after trees leaf out which im sure they are for you around Easter?

1 Like

No leaves at Easter in Newport.

Hi guys. I read through the fire blight post already and asked a few questions regarding copper. I thought I would switch to this post since it is more relevant to my question. I have multiple different varieties of trees at different stages currently. Most of them are 1 to 3 years old. If you would like photos I can surely post them. As we are heading toward the end of April am I too late to do a copper spray on them? I have never done one yet. If I am I can just wait until next year and then start a good regimen for spraying. Last year the only pest that I had was on one apple tree and they were aphids. A little Soap spray and they were gone. My apple Trees are at the stage where they are just barely pushing Leaves. My peach trees are starting to flower. Plum trees are starting to flower. Cherry tree has leaves pushing. Apricot has Leaves pushing. Pear are barely breaking bud. And nectarine are barely pushing leaves. Roughly 2 to 3 weeks ago I sprayed them with a Bonide neem oil.
I have purchased Montrey horticultural oil to use for a dormant spray and during the summer if it is possible instead of the neem oil. I have read that it is possible to mix copper with this oil. Montrey also sells a liquid copper that I could purchase to mix with. And/or any other recommended ones. Kocide is going to be my first choice. But I do love Amazon and I donā€™t know if they sell it on there. Iā€™ve read that copper can burn leaves. So am I too late on most of the trees? If so because of the leaf burn could I spray everything around the Leaves?

Next year I plan to do both copper and Montrey oil just before bud break. Should I add anything else at this time?

1 Like

You can spray copper when the leaves are very small but not after that. Well, you can spray later but at a reduced dose. Also for apples it can cause them to russet if sprayed late.

Note I donā€™t spray copper on anything unless there is a reason, I usually use lime-sulphur on my apples and pears. I spray copper on the stone fruits for protection from shot hole and bacterial canker. So if there is no big reason you can wait until next season to see if something this year gives you a reason :slight_smile: Copper long-term is not good for the worms so it is best to use it only if needed.

1 Like

So is lime- sulfur good against fire blight also or would I need to add this to the spring spray list? I will also check out your post on a spraying schedule. I really would like to spray the least amount possible during the year. Once I start to actually get apples and other fruits on the trees my kids are going to freely pick them whenever. I have talked to them many times about different pesticides but I still want to be careful so they donā€™t ingest anything toxic. I realize horticultural oil and copper are just preventative And if ingested probably wouldnā€™t harm you a lot. But still some Iā€™m sure. So if you had to say the minimum sprays possible that are the least toxic what would your suggestion be? I would also like to spray all the trees at once as it would be nice to have least work possible. I really wish there was a one spray for everything that you could apply all year round. That was non-toxic. LOL Iā€™m not necessarily an organic gardener but I just try to be because of my children. I like the idea of watching the trees to see if an infection or bugs occur before treating. I just got a little scared of the fire blight issue.

Where are you in zone 7?

Zone 7 in the east coast is quite different from zone 7 in the west coast. Knowing where you are located will help us have a better idea what diseases and pests you will encounter.

Yes zone 7a Clinton Utah