Che, mulberry, osage orange, fig grafting

Clark,. That is too bad. It sure took a long time to died out. I will be back on Sunday from Riviera Maya and will check all the grafts and take some photos.

Tony

1 Like

Tony,
I think yours will be fine. They are likely partially compatible like mine so it just depends which tree you happen to graft scions on. I see this with wild pears frequently. That partial incompatibility is likely why no one has grafted che to mulberry. I think it’s very likely that they will grow just fine on half the trees they are grafted on. This is what the seedless che on osage orange looks like by the way

1 Like

I just got home and took a look at the Che/Mulberry grafts.

Here are the seedless Che cleft grafted on Hidden Spring Nursery male and female Che on an Osage Orange rootstocks. They are doing super.

Here is the Che grafted on mulberry on the right side of the photo. It is still green but not growing much.

The Pakistan mulberry grafts on wild mulberries are doing great.

Geraldi grafted on mulberry

4 Likes

What’s the latest on this experiment? I’m very interested in the possibility of putting che on my mulberries.

Tjasko,
My grafts failed when the hot weather came. Nearly All of the mulberry grafts failed as well. One thing I learned from the experiment is they did not fail right away which means the right interstem could make it work. Find a mulberry tree Che will work on and they will all work. Maybe @tonyOmahaz5 came out better than me and has that mulberry tree we need for interstems. The 100 degree temperatures did not help matters and caused many mulberry failures. My successes look great!

hi
i know that in asia they use the wood to cook,and the leafs to make infusions.
does someone uses that? do i just need to dry the leafs or (as i readed somewhere) do i need to fermented them,if so how should i do it

@Greenguy
@tonyOmahaz5

Look what I just got!

I hopped a six-foot tall chain-link fence to get these. Gonna grow myself some Osage Orange rootstocks!

6 Likes

Matt,

I think you will need to stratify the Osage Orange seeds by either in the refrig or planting the mature seeds straight into the ground.

Tony

2 Likes

I recently got into making handmade longbows. Apparently Osage is the top wood used followed by hickory. I know there are osage orange trees in my region buy I’ve been unable to pinpoint where they are located.

What will you do with osage orange trees?

1 Like

Those hedge apples got me in lots of trouble as a kid throwing them at each other. Speedster don’t know where you are located but in the area of Kansas I grew up those rows of trees every 1/4 mile out in farmland are Osage Orange. That was many years ago and many of the hedges have been pulled out to farm more land.

1 Like

Strudeldog,
Bet we could still come up with a box car full of hedge apples if we needed to. The Osage orange is very prolific here in Kansas!

1 Like

30 years ago probably more than one boxcar within a mile where I grew up, I walked and hunted those hedges as there was not much else to do. Many of the them pulled up now, and I am all for landowner rights but sometimes I wonder if it gets to dust bowl conditions that pulling them might be regretted. I remember walking snow drifts along side them maybe 10 foot deep with adjoining field maybe only an inch deep. Anyone that calls Chicago the windy city never spent much time on the plains area.

4 Likes

You got that right. Usually half to all the snow is in the drifts. That’s where a cover crop of wheat stubble comes in handy. Love that wheat stubble…!!

2 Likes

I left my hedge rows and planted more. Still plenty of wind here. Sometimes people get the wrong idea about Kansas.

1 Like

I’m gonna graft Che fruit on top.

2 Likes

I hand made a hickory long bow and three ceder arrows to go with it. I ended up using camo duct tape to back it with as it tried to crack. I think with a real steel point I could be pretty dangerous with it.

2 Likes

can you do mulberry to che? i wanna grow mulberry but those suckers grow crazy big and fast.

@tonyOmahaz5, How did your grafts turn out? Any luck with Che on mulberry?

All the Mulberries grafts took. The Che had a slow incompatibility and died out about 21/2 months later. Too bad!!!

Tony

1 Like

Tony, at least you tried. Thanks. I think we can put a fork in the hope that Che would take on mulb. Oh well. No shortage of Osage Orange in this country either.

1 Like