Cold hardiness of mysore raspberry?

Will mysore survive 8b winters?

I planted a mysore a couple of years ago. It suffered winter damage at 30 degrees. Didn’t kill it but did set it back. The summer sun is what did it in. It got late afternoon shade but when the temperatures got to the mid 90’s the sun burned it and eventually killed it.

It did have very sharp thorns, worse than any blackberry I have, and I have Kiowa blackberry that is known for its thorns. The berries were a little hard to pull and when it gave, your hand would hit the thorns and bring blood. I could have saved it by moving the container 5 feet closer to the house, but I was kind of glad it died. Thorns were really bad.

The kids said the taste was ok, but the thorns hurt too bad. I do not care for raspberries so I am not a good judge on the taste.

1 Like

In love raspberries but can’t find any that do well in the South. Looks like I can scratch these off the list as well.

With afternoon shade, Heritage raspberry survived for 3 years. Disease ended up killing them. Anne Raspberry also survived and did well for 3 or 4 years. I grew them in a wood container 4 foot by 4 foot each.

We seldom get over 95 degrees due to humidity. The key seems to be to have shade from about 2 or 3 oclock. It seems the sun scalds the leaves.

I’ve heard mysore raspberries are more like blackberries. from Texas fruiting plants facebook group “Caroline Raspberries are still fruiting. I’m pleased with this variety, excellent flavor, moderate production. Minimal disease in this wet year. Secret is afternoon shade here in coastal Texas zone 9 (Matagorda County). The late Ray Smith from the Brazosport Garden Club had a very productive stand of Oregon 1030 red raspberries in Lake Jackson and taught me how to grow them. In my opinion they were the best for our area. I lost my stand when out of town during an August drought. Mysore tropical black raspberries also fruited heavily but the taste is insipid, no acid to balance the sweet. I no longer grow them.”

“Raspberry harvest from this morning off of our Heritage raspberry plant. It’s planted next to a raspberry shortcake variety. As we’re getting later in the season the flavor of the heritage has much improved… I’d say that the shortcake variety has bigger and better tasting berries but it’s a pretty sad underperforming plant overall. Heritage has gone crazy and has been producing steadily for months.”