Costco Trees

As fruitnut pointed out, later season and fruit ripe in mid July doesn’t make sense. With my limited knowledge mid July is mid season, right? When I think of late season, got be September, October …

Picked up a Harko necturine on Lovell rootstock.

1 Like

Lovell rootstock is supposed to produce standard size tree. But my 7-8 years old nectarines has only grown to less than 5 feet with minimum pruning. I wish I could get a few lovell rootstocks locally. It can take clay soil
Spring wet ,soggy condition and not much obvious disease issues as long as it is on minimum maintainence schedule .

1 Like

I am going to keep it in pot for a couple of years. Dwarfing would be welcome,

Both Juliet and Carmine Jewel were $32.99, I think. They were big, about 2ft tall and bushy. They looked like they were just starting to push out some small leaves, like mine here at home. I kind of regret not getting one now. Maybe I can go back before they sell out. There were about 30 plants there three weeks ago, and maybe 15 today.

There were quite a few peaches and apples, and a small amount of sweet cherry trees.

It’s funny because the bush cherry tags had “sweet cherry Juliet” or “Carmine Jewel” printed on them. I wonder how many people bought them thinking they were sweet and not tart.

1 Like

I bought my carmine jewel thinking it’s sweet cherry because it is advertised so🙄

1 Like

Who was selling them as sweet cherries? Has it produced any fruit yet?

Do you mean that Costco isn’t selling any peaches or Burchell? I’m pretty sure Burchell does- I got a Pumpkin Spice from them last year at a very high price.

I think it will come down to the rootstock they used. Does the other label say? Was it Lovell or Nemaguard? I think a lot of Burchell’s offerings are on Nemaguard, which is considered a bit risky here.

Agreed- it is even stranger that they explicitly say that it is late season.

“September Free is a late season nectarine with sweet yellow flesh and a red skin. Ripens mid-July

Do you mean it is between 1" and 3/4", or it is 1.75"? If it is 1.75", that would be among the biggest trees I’ve seen sold at a big box store. I saw a plum which was like that this spring at Home Depot, but it was at least $60, not $19…

If I had known I could get Tomcot locally, I wouldn’t have ordered one from Bay Laurel. They cut the roots very short and I probably paid more for it that the one from Costco.

And nectarines on Citation are even smaller.

Don’t remember which online outfit. It’s 7-8 years ago. Yeah it produce cherries that is not to my taste. I now grafted several sweet cherry onto it

Bob,
First of, you can tell right away that I am not good at math. I meant to say that the trunk below the graft is about 1” thick and the trunk above the graft union is .75” thick.

I looked up Burchell to find more info about this Sept Free nectarine but could not find it. What I found was the tab labeled Fruit Trees. When I clicked on it, it listed the fruit I mentioned on my previous post but no peaches listed. I don’t know why. Just think it’s odd.

It is on a Lovell rootstock.

Had I not have Tomcot already, I would have bought it from Costco. Good size tree for $19. It probably will give you apricots next year,

1 Like

I found plenty of peaches listed by both Burchell and their Tomorrow’s Harvest brand. But, I don’t see September Free on either site. The closest is September Sun. From their chart, Carnival is the first half of September. But for me, it is the last part of September, into the first week of October and you may be slightly further behind. So, September Free could be pretty late for you, though I suspect it will ripen a few days before the frosts.

http://www.burchellnursery.com/peaches-fresh.php

https://www.tomorrowsharvest.com/store/fruit-trees/peach-freestone.html

Well, now you know that not only I am poor in math, my observation skill is bad, too. Somehow, I missed the peaches listed.

I should have known that September Free will ripen in…Sept. Too bad. I have two peach trees that ripen in Sept already. How many peaches and nects one can consume at once? Maybe, growing it in pot will speed up its deveopment a little faster.

2 Likes

My local Sam’s club had various “small fruits” in two-packs. One interesting two-pack they had was a pair of pecan trees (for 14.97). Stuart and Colby I believe.

If I had the room I would have considered getting them…

mostly the two-packs were things like goji, blackberries, raspberries and kiwis (one male and one female)

Scott

1 Like

This is a tree I purchased from our local Costco several days ago. It is a apple combo tree. It has the following grafts a golden delicious, yellow transparent, jonagold and granny smith. The cost was $44.99.

1 Like

I just bought a couple very nice sized Juliet bush cherries at Costco. They were $32 each for what I think were 6 gallon pots.

1 Like

I was at Costco today and they had some trees inside. They didn’t have many- just this one display case, with 30-40 trees in it.

Here are the varieties I remember seeing:
Plum: Santa Rosa, Satsuma
Apricot: Harcot, Mormon
Peach: O’Henry, Pink Diamond
Nectarine: Snack Time

I bought a Pink Diamond and a Snack time (the 2 exclusives), though I will need to figure out where to put them.

Descriptions from Burchell:
Pink Diamond is a very large peach with pink blush and white to pink flesh. The sweet taste is unforgettable! September-October

Snack Time is a good time with this small nectarine that’s shaped like a donut. What a kid-friendly treat! Fresh and sweet, fun to eat, be sure to pack plenty of this Burchell exclusive for your June outings.

So the peach is pretty late and the donut nectarine is very early, though I doubt that it would be June. Maybe early July for me, as June would be in CA.

I’ve seen some bad video’s of huge lines with people queued up around the corner. But when I went today, there was only a ~5 minute wait to get in. And that was only because they were keeping the number of shoppers low. I didn’t ask how many, but HD was limited to 100 shoppers at one time last week. The parking lot was much more empty than normal (maybe half), so it was pretty empty in there. Only one person ahead of me at the checkout…

3 Likes

@Girly has Snack Time and she thinks it’s the same as Andy’s Orchard Rapunzel, one of the best nectarines she have eaten.

2 Likes

Thanks for the report. I just told my husband yesterday that we will let the lawn and the orchard go the way it is as I do not want to go to Home Depot, Lowe’s for lawn care needs.

Now you have tempted me!!! @Ahmad does not help being enabler, either :smile:

What rootstocks Pink Diamond and Snack Time are on, please?
From Costco - In 2018, I bought a nectarine and did not realize that it’s on Nemaguard. I put it in ground. Not sure it it will survive a typical New England weather (this past winter was too mild) long term.

In 2019, I bought another nectarine, September Free. It’s on Lovell so it’ll be all right. I run out of space so it’s still in a pot. It had one fruit last year and it tasted all right. This year it’s covered with blooms. I will prune off a lot of them to shape the tree.

1 Like

@mamuang et al: You guys have been tempting me big time since I joined this forum, now I have 28 in-ground trees, 20+ potted figs and mulberries, 60+ varieties and still craving 30 more trees to plant, but have absolutely no more space… I have to move to a house with a couple of acres yard!

6 Likes

Let me be the buzzkill here. Rapunzel nectarine seems inconsistent at least around here. Few people mentioned it tasted great in 2018 fruit tasting at Andys. However, in 2019 when I attended, it was only decent and nothing special. Assuming it is out of patent, you can get some scion wood next winter and save yourself some risk of visiting Costco!

1 Like