Dixie Red Delight

Does anyone know where I can buy Dixie Red Delight apple tree?

2 Likes

Looks like they still have some here: http://www.centuryfarmorchards.com/catalog/order.html

4 Likes

An excellent choice; here it about blows your head off with balanced sugar and acid. They improve sitting on the counter.

7 Likes

Applenut is modest. You can buy it from him, if you like. His nursery, Kuffell Creek, is in SoCal.

3 Likes

Sounds promising! Does it have normal blight resistance in your orchard?

Unfortunately he is out for the season. :frowning:

1 Like

Thanks Drusket!

I am placing an order today. Also ordered Hooples, Goldrush, Grimes Golden, AM Golden Russet and Muttamuskeet! I need help…not sure where I am going to put them all but hey I have been there and done that before! Ha!

1 Like

That’s a nice mix of varieties you’ve chosen there. I’m sure you’ll get some good results and I hope you report back when you do.

1 Like

Bumping this old thread because: 1.) I wonder if anyone has any updates regarding this little-known apple; and 2.) I want to point out to interested parties that scionwood is still available here:

I grafted it this year.

NC State, btw, notes that Lee Calhoun included it on his list of heirlooms for the North Carolina Piedmont and that it has at least some cedar-apple rust resistance.

Calhoun in Old Southern Apples quotes a writer in Pomona, who says:

Red Delight [which Calhoun says is a synonym for DRD] fruits are sprightly, crisp sweet and all the other things a good apple should be. The spring blossom is an ornamental pink. Fireblight can be a problem.