Drying pears - natures best candy!

I made lots of pear jam last year which I enjoyed in Greek yogurt all winter. This year there weren’t enough pears to make any. I will miss it. I have also dried pears, which can be very addicting and easy to gain weight overindulging.

3 Likes

I actually love putting Jam in yogourt, I think that it’s much much better than the fruit flavored yogourts the stores sell, I put homemade fig jam in yogourt since I make fig jam often.

What type of pears did you use?

2 Likes

Clapps Favorite and Luscious. I would think any kind would work.

1 Like

True, turning fruit in to Jam can actually make fruit taste better, especially the bland/unsweet ones.

1 Like

First ever batch of sliced pears in the dehydrator. Will let you know how it goes.

3 Likes

Pearsauce (think applesauce) in yogurt is really good.

4 Likes

This is my jar of dried pears. They taste sweet and flavorful. Next time I will core and skin them.

5 Likes

What kind of pear are we looking at?

1 Like

Unknown variety. Was told the tree was there 40 years ago when they moved in. Pear shaped fruit that ripened to a bright yellow after sitting in the house for 4 weeks.

1 Like

Anyone drying pears this year?

Yes! I dried many Drippin Honey. They turned into delicious chewy chips. I peeled them before drying since I don’t care for the texture of the dried skins.

4 Likes

@PharmerDrewee

In my opinion they are better than candy but I don’t think there is a lot of difference.

1 Like

My friends and coworkers who’ve never eaten very many pears let alone Asian pears loved them along with the fresh fruit. They go very well with unsweetened hot tea.

2 Likes

Suggestions on fruit dryers to use?

1 Like

@MikeC

That open country dehydrator shown above has given me many great years of service. It’s still going strong!

1 Like

Doing them by hand is definitely time consuming. I peel and slice into wedges. Probably takes me 20 minutes to fill my (ancient hand-me-down) dehydrator, and then it takes about a day to dry them. So I just sliced after a meal once a day for about ten days, passing the ripest best ones around the table for dessert and the less ripe ones into the trays to dry, and we ended up with four quart Ziploc bags of dried wedges.

2 Likes

I like this one because you can buy extra trays, and they nest to take up a lot less space for storage:

3 Likes

Thank you all for the dehydrator suggestions. I need to get one here soon. I can only make and use so much apple butter. I need to dehydrate the rest of my apples. So I need a good dehydrator. I will have pears from three pear trees next year.

1 Like

I’ve dried a bunch of pears this year, again… I do not peel, but I have been coring central slices containing seeds and most of the surrounding grit cells. If they have lots of stony spots from stinkbug feeding, I’ve discarded them. Most slices start out ~3/4 inch thick.
Also dehydrated a whole lot of watermelon pieces this year. It’s also really good, almost like watermelon jerky.

3 Likes

I’ll have to try dehydrating watermelon next year. I had some that were too ripe to enjoy fresh. The flavor was find but texture was not good.

For other fruits, the riper/softer the better for the resultant dried fruits, so hopefully that holds true for watermelon.

2 Likes