Duchesse D' Angouleme Bronzee / Duchess D’Angoulme pear

Added another row of Duchess D’ Angoulme.

3 Likes

How many trees is that?

@MikeC

This row was a dozen trees.

2 Likes

I was just wondering. I was not sure if it was just few or a few dozen. My Duchess has a few pieces of fruit on it for the first time. Hopefully I can taste one this year. I have a lot of deer so I will try to get to it before they do. You make it sound like it is a very good pear to grow. That is one reason why I planted one.

1 Like

Just had a Duchess D’ Angoulme that was melting and juicy much like a bartlett. Normally they are crisp and firm with grit near the core. Have grown this pear for many years and much of the time i know our growing conditions dont allow this pear to be as good as it should be. I bring this up because it does have the longest growing season of any pear i grow many years. Most of the time we get 80% of the quality it is capable of. When people ask i say its not the best quality but it can be exceedingly good like bartlett.

1 Like

It has a longer growing season than Kieffer? Just curious , the Duchess was ripe before my Kieffer pear, this year. Of course this is the first year I had pears on both of those pear trees.

1 Like

@MikeC

Yes at least a month or two longer than old fashioned kieffer. Now notice i say that like there are not 100 trees sold as kieffer that all ripen at different times. The true kieffer is very late ripening but much earlier than This one.

1 Like

My father in law had an original Kieffer and it ripened late and was a good looking fruit. When I planted my Kieffer I didn’t realize that there were improved varieties. The one I have is a little bigger and ripens earlier.

1 Like

@clarkinks,

Is there any difference in ripening between duchess d’angouleme and bronzee? They are both late but do you pick both at the same time?

Thanks

REALLY? I am so surprised at knowing that. Bummer. I thought I had the original Kieffer pear, not a version of a Kieffer. I guess I was wrong. Sounds like the Kieffer pear is like the Horse apple, lots of different versions called by that name.

1 Like

@MikeC

Have been testing several types on my farm. Have found multiple companies calling pears kieffer that have all been somewhat different. At @39thparallel farm he pulls his scion wood from an old homestead kieffer there at his orchard. I planted it on ohxf333 and started getting pears quickly. It ripens very late and is the kieffer we may remember from our childhood. .

That sounds like the original Kieffer… The Kieffer I had at an old house was a late ripening as well. HUGE pears.

1 Like

It was a very dry year which made many pears small but they have a great flavor. It is february now and im still eating them! Very sugary, juicy, and delicious!

5 Likes

Descriptions of both pears can be found here
tec_bul_41_.pdf (4.3 MB)