Elderberries--American vs European

Anyone here growing both American and European elders? Are the Europeans any larger (berries) or better than the Americans?

A member here was kind enough to send me a few Europeans as cuttings, but I managed to kill them. Now I’m trying to determine if they’re any better than just getting a couple Americans like Adams and York, which are much easier to find in my area; are the Europeans any better?

Thanks in advance,
Mark

When I was doing some research on Elderberries last winter, I came across this info and found it very helpful: http://extension.missouri.edu/greene/documents/Shared_Documents/SWregion/Byers/ElderberryPresentationMN.pdf

I grow 2 of the European ones (Samdal/Samyl?). They seem to do fine. Had a ton of berries. The only issue is SWD infested everything and i ended up with nothing because i wasn’t paying attention. If i want to use the fruit, i’ll have to spray next year.

On berry size/flavor…i have no comparison because i have never tried American varieties…but they didn’t seem anything special. I actually grew them more for the health aspect then for eating (making my own sambucol).