Favorite early/super early tomato variety?

I will probably try Sungold in the future, I just decided since I already had the Sun Sugar seeds not to purchase another. I always have more tomato varieties that I want to try than I have the space!

1 Like

As I was going through my seeds, getting ready to start some, I noticed that Jasper cherry tomato is supposed to have a 60 day fruit time. I grew it last year and I honestly didn’t notice if it matured early or not (we had so many varieties/plants and other garden plants I was more focused on) but it was an AMAZING tomato – producing loads until frost. It had a flavor more like a really good grape tomato, I think. The fruit was perfect and toward the end of the season it was ripening pretty much in clusters so you could clip a cluster and have mostly ripe tomatoes. No cracking issues here in central VA zone 6b. Handled diseases pretty well too.

I will be growing it again this year so I will pay attention to its maturity time and see how it does! I just wanted to mention it as it was a standout in our garden last year.

Jasper is an awesome tomato! I have grown it a few times. Sunsugar and Sungold. I agree pretty much with the observations. Sunsugar is a weaker plant. I myself could not tell between them by taste.
The Sun series is actually extensive. The others are not that well known. I never tried them yet but have seed for Sun green,. I think a Sun lemon is out there too? All from a Japanese company if I recall correctly? Big business for sure. Only one company knows how to make Sungold hybrid, the exact cross is unknown. This is a hybrid, so seeds are not stable.

1 Like

I can second Glacier here in the Rocky Mountain foothills. It’s a fairly small plant, (although quite productive, inch for inch) so take that into account in your spacing.

Moskovitz or “vitch”? I thought had good flavor.

Stupice I think is uneven depending on the strain you happen to have. It does have the quality of improving in quality as the season wears on.