Favorite rare varieties of plants for veggie garden (CA preferred)

Hello all!

I wanted to start a thread that we can share our standout varieties. Things that a rare (you generally cant buy at the grocery store), AND that grow practically maintenance free. I live in southern California, so things that do well in that area are preferred, but not mandatory. Also, please try to share where you can get them if they are rare!

So I will go first

Purple tree collards
I bought these on amazon as cutting and had to get them to root themselves. I only had one that made it, but I love it. It practically maintenance free. It provides green and purple leaves that go great in my smoothies salads and juices.

Kohlrabi
I know Kohlrabi isnt that rare these days anymore, but I dont see it in the store, and it just grows well. It tastes like a mild radish, but kinda sweet. I use the greens in salads, and juice. You can buy starts at box stores, or seeds easily.

My last veggie I like is Romanesco broccoli.
You can find it some stores, but its not common. It looks like your on drugs and taste like a mix between broccoli and cauliflower. Just google it to see how cool it looks. Its grows quite easy too!. I bought mine as seeds from the box store.

PS i started another thread for fruit similar to this here

Adam

3 Likes

Hi Adam, I see you’re in Santa Clarita CA. That puts you in USDA hardiness zone 9, Sunset gardening zone 18. Note that USDA is calculated from average daily lows as shown in this graph for Santa Clarita:

Here’s a few of the uncommon herbs and vegetables I’ve grown in zone 9b and now grow in 10b. I obtained nearly all of these from Pearson’s Gardens in Vista CA.

White Alpine Strawberry
Rustic/Wild Arugula (Diplotaxis tenuifolia)
Greek Columnar Basil
Upland Cress (Barbarea verna)
Greek Sage (Salvia fruticosa)
Mother Of Thyme (Thymus serpyllum)
Thai Ginger aka Greater Galangal (Alpinia galanga)
Greek Oregano (Origanum heracleoticum)

1 Like

Thanks for the great info Richard. Also, I read your profile and saw your in Vista. I’m going to have to come visit during harvest season =)

1 Like

I’m harvesting something almost every week of the year … so you’re welcome down anytime.

I left out this wonderful herb:

Cretian Calamint (Clinopodium nepeta, subsp. glandulosum) :slight_smile:

My top vote goes to Yakon.

Juicy with excellent flavor and texture both fresh and cooked. Maintenance free, just add water. No disease or pest pressure. Large yields per plant. Perennial. One crown may be divided to produce scores of plants for the following season.

2 Likes

I never get kohlrabi to bulb up nicely. So I don’t consider it maintenance free.

If you’re not doing it already, try mixing a little wood ash into the soil before planting, or use a water soluble fertilizer that contains extra potash (K) – for example Grow More Tomato Food 18-18-21.

I’ll try doing that. Wood ashes I got.

Is Yakon much different from sunchokes? I’m growing sunchokes which I’ve heard are similar.

I’ve never tasted sunchokes.