Figcuttings.com

Like had been said personal preference, weather and other things can make even the greatest figs seem not worth keeping to the owner.

For example some people think LSU gold is great, yet unless you are not picky or you love honey figs you will probably not care for it.

I know nothing about the NOT figs or the box store ones and they change fig tree suppliers often anyway.

Emerald Strawberry UCR 143-36 is an incredible fig yet based upon what I heard about it you need a lot of heat for that one for the fruit to be good.

Gino’s Black in a way can be viewed as being the best Mt etna type of fig because it has an unusually high moisture and rain resistance, while still being very good, yet that one is said to be very hard to root. I wish you luck with that one.

Florea’s greatest strength is it’s cold hardiness, yet one of my online friends says that it’s figs are very tasty. I technically own it yet it has not fruited yet.

I have never heard of Celeste Holland or Celeste Goss, are they some type of Celeste? Celeste is high production if you get a good strain of it, is cold hardy and some people love it, I read that the figs get better as the tree ages. The fruit is very sweet and they are small fruit. Celeste roots very easily and it is not as picky about soil as a lot of other varieties of fig, it can survive soil that kills other fig trees.

Black Jack is a semi dwarf fig tree, very good figs, a fig friend of mine loves this variety. Figs are said to taste like strawberry melon.

Valle Negra is supposed to be very good. Much better than these popular figs right here, Violette de Bordeaux, Negronne, than Malta Black, than Marsellies VS Black, than Aldo, than Hardy Chicago and than Sal’s (EL).

Tacoma Violett is supposed to be very rain and moisture tolerant and have excellent flavor.

Sal’s Corleone is very rain and moisture sensitive yet is a great fig in a dry climate

Hardy Chicago is said to be great yet oddly it’s said to smell like cat piss, LOL It does have a strong cold hardiness yet I personally would choose Ginos black and/or Valle Negra over it.

Violette De Bordeaux is a great fig yet it’s a lot like Hardy Chicago, like Ginos black and like Valle Negra.

1 Like

Yes, Hardy Chicago and Chicago Hardy are the same just transposed by some sellers. The Sal’s is probably the Etna type, there is just Sal’s fig and Sal’s Corleone, Sal’s fig may come with either an EL or Gene after the name but they are the same.

Atreano is fairly early and very productive, needs to be fully ripe to be sweet though.

Brunswick is very sweet and ripens early/mid season, can have a problem with bugs and rain because the eye is open.

Paradiso could be one of a couple different figs. There is one that resembles Brunswick from Joe Morle (neighbor has that and the leaves do look the same), and couple that look more like White Genoa: Giovanni’s, Gene’s. Don’t have much experience with them, just a big old tree I found locally that looks similar and I got Paradiso Gene last year.

Ronde de Bordeaux has been great in a container, early ripening but sometimes will set fruit late because of heavy pruning or winter damage.

San Pietro could be from Joe Morle which may be distinct or there is a Dalmatie type going around also. I don’t have experience with either.

I’d look at adding:
LSU Tiger (my experience is actually with an unknown I released to the community called Easton Purple, but am about 95% sure it is the same as Tiger) it has a very nice sweet fruity (not figgy) flavor and is about as early as the Etna types.

Negretta, new to me and did split a little but early and tasty.

Longue d’Aout, a little later ripening but a nice figgy flavor and syrupy/meaty texture. Great brebas.

I notice he no longer lists Jolly Tiger. It’s one of the 5 I ordered last spring.

I’m personally hoping he holds off until April, or even early May, if I’m to receive mine. Though I will be happy to receive them whenever.

Any word on what the fruit from JT is like?

Scott

Hoosier,
I indeed got Paradiso, San Peitro and White Genoa from Joe.

His nursery is only 45 minutes away from my house. Unfortunately, Joe was not helpful when I asked if he would recommend any variety. His answer “I like them all”.

His fig plants were healthy and reasonable priced. He said they were Italian figs. I assume he meant they were originally from Italy.

My Sal is Sal’s EL. I do like the name Sal’s Corleone better. Is there a Michael Corleone fig out there? :smile:

Thank you so much for your response.

1 Like

I got San Pietro from Joe. It is a big fig but I do not care for it. I find it rather dry. It bore for me last year. will see if it is any better. I have it under light after a short spell of dormancy and has 2 fruits at the moment. Celeste is a tasty fig, sweet and juicy, I think.

1 Like

[quote=“mamuang, post:64, topic:9744”]
Is there a Michael Corleone fig out there? :smile:
[/quote]There were several fig trees brought from Sicily just for one of the Godfather movies, one of those fig trees actually have gotten in to the fig community.

To me they all do, very few do not.

I agree with the advice given, you guys did a great job of breaking them down.

In what ways? Seems very different to me. It’s not a Mt Etna that’s for sure. The color is much darker, it grows and looks a lot different than the Chicago fig. Taste too is not similar as least to me.

Imagine that, but in the case of Red Lebanese they are different, hence my comments about what a poor way to name figs. Let alone a good example of naming conventions.

I have seen many people put this in their top 5, I need to add it to my want list.

So many good figs are out there, so many new ones are coming in all the time too.
Many are untested and characteristics are unknown.I tend to like to experiment so grabbed a few to test myself. I recently added Miralla (MP), In general the Spanish figs are late, so doubtful it will be good for me, It was available to me, so what the heck, I can always sell it off.

@mamuang how do you find San Peitro? I found it rather dry :frowning: thx

Roundface,

I have not tasted mine. Somehow, the fruit never ripened in time :(. That’s why I asked @hoosierbanana for his suggestions of early or mid ripening. The late ones would not be good for me.

Taste is subjective and personal. For those who have tasted many, it’s good to hear from them.

OK. It is a problem for me too here in z6 but as you are in z5 it is even worst. Good idea going to early or mid ripening. I must keep that in mind! thx

I almost got maralla too, but a friend looked it up in Pons’s book
and he didn’t care for it very much, so I passed on it. Hope you like
it better that he does.

Well that is strange because Harvey quotes his book, and Pons says it’s very tasty.

From F4F

In MP book, there are 4 varieties that he use ‘Muy Sabloso – vey tasty’

Martinenca Rimada

Miralla

Morro de Bou

Coll de Dama Roja

“muy dulce, sabroso” is not tasty. so I can see that confusion is possible.

I have Roja too, and have a trade for the Rimada.

As far as I’m concerned none of this matters, one needs to try, you can get some ideas, but your area, conditions, and your tastes all come to play. I don’t mind eliminating figs, as I have too many anyway! But I love growing plants, even when they don’t even fruit. So no big deal. If it’s good, it will be available to any that want it.

Tony I think I already gave you some input direct but a little more

Brent is correct in stating Sicilian Red and Sal’s Corleone that you have are very similar if not the same fig.

Violette De Bordeaux and Hardy Chicago are not even close to same fig

There is some question on the White Triana being true to type and that’s what the “not?” appended means. It’s a good fig but the interior seems maybe darker at times than other pics I have seen.

The 2 Celeste are from different sources are somewhat different The name following identifies the source. Plain old Celeste is a great fig if it doesn’t drop fruit for you. Neither drops for me, but I am in a different climate.

LSU Gold can be watery but is a vigorous fig and often produces well same year after freeze to ground, but along with the Mount Etna might be something you could manage with some protection inground and get some figs.

The Mount Etna types as others stated will likely be your best bet in your climate, particularly if you try some protected inground, and Brent IDed those for you.

The one on this list you absolutely need in your 10 Takoma Violet. It’s a triple crown fig. Overall Hardiness productivity and taste If I had to choose I might grow it above any other fig I grow. In fact it’s done so good for me I have questioned if it is actually true to type, and have discussed it on the forums with mixed reponses
here is a link to that discussion Tacoma/Takoma Violet/Violette - Ourfigs.com

And here is some pics of her.

3 Likes

Takoma is one I need to add badly! Also Malta Black as it is another I only hear great things about. Very common too, for good reason it appears. I know some of you guys said contact you next cutting season, and I will!

Thank you very Phil for additional informations I will treasure the Takoma and make more replicate next year.

Tony

[quote=“Drew51, post:67, topic:9744”]
In what ways? Seems very different to me. It’s not a Mt Etna that’s for sure. The color is much darker, it grows and looks a lot different than the Chicago fig. Taste too is not similar as least to me.
[/quote]Thank you for pointing that out, I have an error in my notes and I am not sure how that happened!

What!? I’m not the only one who does that? I try to be organized also, yet, I seem never to be! Argh!

1 Like

What???!!!
In Spanish, sabloso = wise, sabroso = tasty. Who would call a fig wise? “Muy sabroso” is “very tasty”, “muy dulce, sabroso” is “very sweet, tasty”.

I’m just going by what the Spanish guys said, you have to go on F4F and talk to them about it, I have no idea? They are direct quotes from the Pons book, Some guy from Spain translated.Maybe I quoted them wrong?

Did you copy-paste from there or retype? I mean, I can see how somebody who misspells “vey” instead of “very” can misspell “sabloso” instead of “sabroso”. But how “very sweet, tasty” becomes “not tasty” is more of a mystery.