Figs, figs, everywhere!

I’m getting a nice set of brebas on my BT’s. They’re just as good as the main
crop. I don’t know how guys have left over figs to dry. Mine get eaten fresh
every day. There’s no better desert than a bowl of fresh cold figs.

I ended up with a surplus of Brown Turkey figs last year and tried freezing them whole. Not surprisingly, the texture changed pretty dramatically – they’re very soft and mushy once thawed – but the flavor was excellent and I really enjoyed having them.

I over wintered six Brunswick figs I rooted last year in my garage. My garage stays warm though and barely goes below freezing. They are doing well and bagging for the greenhouse, but it’s still too cold for that. Maybe next Wednesday.

1 Like

A potted cutting of unknown variety kept in the garage over the winter is leafing out nicely. I had it outside yesterday and forgot to bring it in last night. Temp went down to 28. I checked it this morning and the new tender leaves look perfect. That’s a very good sign for a fig that I’m hoping will be cold hardy. This summer I’ll be putting it in the ground.

1 Like

Drew,

Three of the four figs you sent me look to be survivors (Hardy Chicago croaked from the wild temp swings we’ve been having; it had the smallest root cluster of the bunch).

These figs are quite resilient, which I attribute to your grow lights and the general TLC you gave them. Despite the wacky spring weather, they refuse to die, and are rebounding in a most impressive manner (earlier, they had dropped some leaves from transplant shock).

Here is Sal’s G:

And Excel…

This is Ronda de Bordeaux:

1 Like

Matt, mine lost all leaves too, because I moved them to the garage, as I needed the lights for tomatoes and peppers. Then we had that cold spell. It must have got down to near freezing in the garage, so all of mine look exactly like yours at this point. Putting on fresh leaves, or at least trying to. I still have some under lights now that the tomatoes and peppers are outside. They look great! I just put outside a Red Lebanese (Bass) fig to acclimate. Now I’m a little worried as they have been wet too long. I moved them to overhead protection and hope they can withstand the wetness.
Here are newly rooted ones under the lights

You know Mt Edna type figs like Chicago Hardy are pretty much all the same, so no great loss losing it. You probably have several Mt Edna types. As a matter of fact Sal’s is a Mt Edna fig so very much if not identical to Chicago Hardy.

3 Likes

I find Sal’s to be slightly more productive in my yard, for what it’s worth.

1 Like

I leave you some pictures of a fig tree having a girl thailandia, it is impressive the size of those figs, called “fig melon”,certainly not taste good, but it is a curious choice to collect

4 Likes

Here are all ten (10) of my potted figs in their new home for the summer-- in front of my townhouse.

BOTTOM ROW (left to right)

@Drew51’s Excel; @Drew51’s Ronda de Bordeaux; @rayrose’s Euro strain Negronne; @Drew51’s Sal’s G; @Kate’s Brunswick; @Greenguy’s Desert King; and @Kate’s Alma fig.

TOP ROW (left to right)

Northcountry blueberry; @fruitnut’s Bronze Paradiso fig; Brugmansia pink angel trumpet; @fruitnut’s Battaglia Green fig; @Greenguy’s Violette de Bordeaux fig; and Northsky blueberry.

5 Likes

Mine as well join in with some photos. These are from a few weeks ago, so they are a bit further along now.

You can see the two large VBD trees I have just about fit in the greenhouse so they will be coming out once the temps finally get in the 70’s

10 Likes

That’s lots of breba figs, is that a VBD?

Yes, the picture with the breba is VDB. In the greenhouse picture its the large one trying to push its way out the roof through the plastic.

Nice! Thanks for posting. Always great to see what people are doing.

Strawberry Verte with breba figs. I had all my figs out in my unheated GH, we had a mild winter, then I moved them to our cool basement in a dark room, in late February when the temps got below 0 a number of times. I brought up a few figs (3) when I noticed they were starting to leaf out. I put them in my unheated sunroom when the days were mild and sunny. Then I would bring them in the house when the temps got in the low thirties at night. Those three are doing great…I have at least two others that have not leafed out yet, and three others that kicked the bucket… (insert sad face). I received the fig cuttings from fruitnut last season…

Ginny

3 Likes

Wow! Well a mixed blessing. You’re going to have some early figs, but lost a few plants. One of mine has breba’s. I think on some of the others they fell off? But I didn’t lose any plants over the winter. Well at least any that were dormant. The garage worked perfect. You do want the hardiest cultivars and individual plants anyway. That looks like a keeper to me! Those don’t look like breba, they are on new growth.

Drew, the new growth is at the very top. So??? Not sure if they are breba’s? This is my first time with figs that are staying on and growing without falling off. At least so far. I have no idea how big the figs will get with S.V. But, I am excited to try my first fresh figs as soon as they are ripe. :slight_smile:

Those are not breba, breba figs grow on last year branch.

Thank you for your input James. I know S.V has a breba crop, so, I wondered when my fig plant started producing figs so early. I guess this is the main crop then.

Figs do get better with age and care of the tree. So the first crop isn’t always the best tasting.
Still I loved my first fig!

I have got to get me a fig. I have a basement where they could get some light and a back porch that is unheated but has Windows on three sides.

1 Like