Figs, figs, everywhere!

The Two Brothers are back in their Garden.

This time, they eat a killer Panache fig!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iYyeFhMuzko

1 Like

see that fig tree weirdest I have seen on facebook has spectacular leaves, the variety is called “dali 75” and I think it is tunez

Here’s my figs.

Black pot on the right is a Chicago Hardy from seed, and grey pot is from a cutting rooted this spring.

This is Panache. It had a hard time rooting. I just decided to pot it up with leaves and it root that way.

This is the Black Madeira. It’s the first fig I rooted this winter. It grew really slow. I have been giving them MG and it is growing good now.

This one is Socrette a green fig. It came with Montrose, and Panache.

Verte, I have one in a five gallon bucket too. I’ve been saving buckets and cutting them off after the first ring. the first couple I cut all the rings off.

Here they all are except two. Two are being acclimated yet. The bigger ones are Brunswick from last year. I did a bad job of acclimating them. they got burned from the morning sun. I cut the leaves of yesterday.

3 Likes

Here is another shot of them. No figs just plants. Montrose is in a white five gallon bucket second from the left next to Chicago hardy. I have my newly planted Honey berries on the hill. You can see two of the five in this shot. One is center and the other is just partly in the photo on the right.

2 Likes

Here is Tom from NewEnglandGardening savoring his first fig of the season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3Ri9ln7h04

3 Likes

Zone five figgin’.

2nd year plants rooted starting winter '14-15.

A couple older ones ones.

Last couple of this spring’s batch of rooted cuttings waiting to get potted up. Cornus mas grafts in the backround right.

8 Likes

Very nice. I fond myself running out of pots to pot up little fig trees which grow from a stick.

Hardy Chicago from seed? Could you please elaborate and be as specific as possible?

1 Like

I’m guessing it was from seed. It was the tiniest plant in a pot 1 1/2" square when it was dilevered from eBay. The stem wasn’t even 1/4" in dia. The plant was about two inches tall. It didn’t look like a cutting to me. Why don’t they grow from seed?

It must be a tissue culture plant then. I thought you might have started a seed yourself though. It looks great.

Figs don’t self pollinate so their genes always mixed, seedlings are always unique. Half male, half female. If the father carries the gene for persistence then half of all the seeds will be persistent, but if not all of the seedlings are supposed to require pollination. That is what I read anyway, so only 25% of seedlings will be common females, at best with a controlled cross.

Figs have been reported to sometimes produce fertile seeds without pollination though. It is called apomixis, the seeds are technically clones but supposed to show variation also from recombination of the mother’s genes.

5 Likes

This is my in ground HC. Can you spot the lone breba? This may be the only fruit I consume from my trees this year. My trees are only second year and what fruit I did expect to get has been bird pecked, dropped, and decimated by frost. Hopefully year 3 is better because this is an awful lot of work to put into something without getting a return. Aside from these figs I have a single shinseiki pear and a single Scarlet Prince peach growing. Actually I forgot I will get a few pints of blueberries.

8 Likes

very nice,a lot of little figlets. These should be ripe before frost

Dave, YES, you have next year to look forward to. Other than figs and berries, I hardly ever get anything off a second year tree. Hmmm. Maybe I should change that to say that I don’t think I’ve ever gotten fruit from a second year tree, except for what I listed. I know other people do get to harvest a bit from second year trees, but I’ve gotten so that I don’t even start seriously hoping until year four.

I realize it probably doesn’t seem like it to you right now, but losing those fruitlets on your young trees this year, may make you better off in the long run. Think of it like compound interest. Those energy reserves that would have gone into ripening fruit this year and now going into body building for your trees. You can wind up with stronger, faster growing trees than you would have.

1 Like

Your tree looks nice and health Dave.

1 Like

Thanks Muddy, I’m sure the trees will be better off. I’m just impatient and get jealous seeing all these great harvest photos. I know my day will come. Lol

1 Like

Here are some of my potted figs.

9 Likes

Well we certainly have figs everywhere! Mine are progressing nicely, easy plants!

1 Like

Everywhere, indeed! I have 2 more areas with potted plants and planted ones everywhere!

I have a house guest this summer and he is shocked at my hobby. He counted all my pots, something I never did, well not just figs, everything. he counted 125. I won’t admit to more than 12.5! :relaxed:

5 Likes

Haha, I have 120 pawpaw and persimmon seedlings.

1 Like