Figs, figs, everywhere!

checking my facebook account, I saw that my good friend and fan of the fig trees world uploaded a picture of coffee fig.
unknown until now that could make coffee or tea with figs, do you have any experience?

some information:

in this video they explain how to make coffee in Ecuador fig (one of the coffee producing countries), the method is simple (washed figs, cut into 4 parts, dry them in the oven and then milled)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BYexpRGrSg

2 Likes

Having some fig envy! lol Kansas is not to great for growing figs :0)

When the pawpaws sprout are the leaves realy tiny? I have two that sprouted and thought the leaves would be the size of the seeds. It looks like the leaves broke off was my fist empression but now it looks like tiny leaves are there.

Here is a picture of the potted figs I have remaining. As you can see the tallest one, Petite Negrone is leggy. I should have cut it back this winter but didn’t and now it looks more like a palm tree. My other figs from left to right are Strawberry verte, LSU Purple, Desert King. On the right is a dead Chicago Hardy cutting.

I’ve not really had the knack for growing them.

1 Like

Yes, seedling pawpaw leaves are only about 2".

Let me know if you want to try! I have a spare CddG.

1 Like

Thanks Kelby my fig is growing but no figs yet. Lets see what happens this year.

1 Like

Mine are about 1/4".

Dave, you should have taken me up on the Brown Turkey offering after you moved. :slight_smile:

You can get some this year, if you want. It’s no big deal if it doesn’t make it, because I can keep sending you some until you and it succeed.

2 Likes

Yes I probably should’ve got some but I’ve burned myself out on potted plants. I had a bunch of Brunswick that I rooted and lost them over the winter. Then a got a very gratious package of RDB cutting that I messed up during the rooting process and lost them all. Quite frustrating. I need to slow down and take my time on these types of thing but I always feel like I have too much to do in the first place. My in ground Chicago is doing well so that should give me a good indication of how many figs I want to grow long term.

The steepest, most difficult, part of any learning curve involves a great deal of learning through experience what doesn’t work. Once you get past that part, things become easier and less time consuming.

Just let me know when you decide to take me up on the offer. Any failures with it would be inconsequential, because I have more than enough for you to experiment with repeatedly.

I lost plenty of fig starts, myself, this year, partly through experimenting and learning, and partly because someone else misunderstood my instructions and baked a bunch of roots while I was away. The failures taught me as much, or more, than the successes. Now, the next time I try this, I expected it to be easier and even more successful. I’d be glad to supply you with enough BT wood until you feel successful.

3 Likes

Well said muddy. Thanks!

Hullo all, after getting some Osmocote (terrible with remembering to fertilize), and having lots of rain my potted LSU Purple Fig looks to be doing well:

Even has some figs coming out:

Looking forward to my first taste! :relaxed:

3 Likes

Looks good Dan! I have a very young LSU Purple too! I heard that it improves with age, so don’t expect a lot from the first batch of figs. In your area, it should be awesome after a few years. My cutting came from this tree.

My best fig tree is chicago hardy. I hope this yr the taste isn’t as bland and leathery as last few yrs.

1 Like

The name of this thread is right on target. The “fig colector virus” has hit hard as i said on another thread.

Here’s some of my fig trees (not including the one’s on small pots).
All but 5 were rooted last year in February-March from cuttings:

If all goes well i plan to plant at least half of them on the ground this fall. At least 20 of these varieties have a grafted backup in a branch of an adult fig tree.

3 Likes

I’m gaining confidence that this Bronze Paradiso (grown from a 2014 cutting donated by @fruitnut) has formed its first figlet:

7 Likes

Nice plate of Breba today

9 Likes

You forgot something, strudeldog. What types of brebas are they?

Ok well they were tasty:) That’s what type they were. I don’t grow that many unknowns but these three all are in question. The dark fig came to me as Kathleen Black but it is not the source now thinks it’s Sal’s Corleone, and they are likely right. I grow Sal’s Corleone so will compare more closely. They are knowledge and shared wood before it fruited. Their source was knowledgeable as well and stated it was Sal’s Corleone as well, but based on his figs was sure that it was Sals C. I will remain a unk likley forever in my records. The green fig is 1 I have labeled Unk Adriatic Grasa. The yellow fig is my favorite Breba. Unk Bills White Italian. It is my most prolific breba producer and very good. Many Breba I don’t care for the taste that much compared to the main crop but these are
excellent. It produces a nice main crop that is one of my favorite main
crop light figs. Here is a pic of it on tree.

3 Likes