Flavor Grenade Pluot

These are not ripe yet but I have to protect them from the birds. There is another tree that is more than 5 year old but only has four fruits. I have no idea how they turn out so differently.

Edit: the red fruits in the front of the first picture are Sweet Treat Pluerries

16 Likes

Hope your weather will be dry so your fruits will be much sweeter!

2 Likes

I have to protect my FG with a net. The birds REALLY love
this variety.

2 Likes

We are seeing near 100F temperature now with no rain so everything is getting sweeter, especially the figs. I know we should have thinned the fruits, but with last year heat wave and not much fruit it was hard to do so.

3 Likes

I use the tulle because it is easier to put on and remove. I think it hides the fruits better and confuses the birds. I see a lot of birds on the trees from the neighbor yard up hill looking down but have lost almost no fruit, even though you see that I only can roughly wrap the tulle around the tree and have a lot of openings. The yard looks like Halloween with all the ghost trees.

The pinwheels at the bottom are for the walking birds

7 Likes

Beautiful fruits!

3 Likes

6 Likes

Some are finally ripe, sweet and crunchy. They are not good when not ripe.

9 Likes

When do you find Flavor Grenade ripens for you? I just planted one this past spring. I thought it would be later than now.

1 Like

I thought there were only 10 fruit sets on the tree but turns out there were about two dozen! They’ve been ripening incrementally. The first half were ready a few days ago and the second will perhaps be ready In a week.

2 Likes

3/23.

3 Likes

I’d expect you to be further ahead. I have a 4 in 1 with a small section of Flavor Grenade. I notice its flower bud clusters look a lot greener than the other 3 pluot varieties. Splash are much more red. It’s really obvious to tell some of the varieties from each other at this time of year.

1 Like

4/11. The nearby Katy apricot and Beauty Plum are also blooming so I’m expecting fruit set.

3 Likes

8/17.

7 Likes

You cut your pluot with that fancy cutco spatula?

Weee! has Flavor Grenade pluots. I wish I could see them before buying. The pictures from other customers in past years show a whole spectrum of color, some clearly nowhere close to ripe - and the accompanying reviews corroborate.

1 Like

Here,Fred Meyer is carrying them,probably for the first time.But 89 cents a piece,is a little much to me and they’re not real big.

1 Like

Are they ripe and sweet?

I only have one on my 4 in 1 tree, and the dedicated tree is a couple years away from producing.

1 Like

They’re somewhat sweet.Ripeness is really subjective,with this variety.Some people like them crunchy,like me,while others prefer them softer,with kind of a reddish appearance.
That may be a quality about them,because shipping shouldn’t be a problem.
These store bought ones were,like most fruit,picked a little early.

2 Likes

How long does it usually take to come into bearing (with Citation rootstock, I assume)?

1 Like

Too long. Flavor Grenade performs much better on Mazzard.
Mine produces so much fruit that I can’t get rid of it fast enough. I finished picking mine over a month ago and I still have a full refrigerator drawer of it. I like mine crunchy too.

4 Likes