Flavor Grenade

They would beg to differ. You have trialed many of their selections, so I will take your word for it. I have harvested wonderful pluots from other varieties, but none have born fruit as consistently as FG here.

2 Likes

I had Geo Pride Iā€™m pretty sure from the same fruit vendor that had dappled dandy and flavor grenade and it was pretty good, but not as good as the flavor grenade to our palate. She also had flavorosa and it had this floral flavor that didnā€™t mix well with the plum flavor for some reason.

I have not tried flavor King, but Iā€™ve heard good things about it. How is it different than flavor supreme and flavor grenade, is it worth getting if I have those two?

How about Splash?

1 Like

IMO you need FK but not Splash. I like Geo Pride, F Finale, F Punch, and Flavor Treat.

1 Like

Flavor King is in itā€™s own class.There is probably some of that floral flavor,but it is a wow,which is exactly what two people said,when I gave them a fruit,for the first time.One was an older fruit seller at a farmers market.To me,they have a deep fruit punch flavor.
Splash has a nice sweet taste.

2 Likes

Good to know, I will get Flavor King next year.

We also loved Honey Punch but cannot find a tree.

That was a bit of an over statement. But FS is clearly the best pluot Iā€™ve eaten with FK next. Havenā€™t eaten them all or even close. There are now thousands one could find by dozens of breeders worldwide.

1 Like

Iā€™d rate it better than DD or FQ. Just no where near FS or FK.

Unlike most pluots FS has a strong acid kick to it. To me it has to be ripe enough to tame the acid down in order to be at itā€™s best. But neither the acid nor the sweetness is what puts it over the top. Itā€™s the flavor. Itā€™s flavor is supremeā€¦

2 Likes

This is my Flavor Supreme. I have quite a few years to wait to see about the pollination issues.

One year old rootstock and a 4 week old graft.

Iā€™m getting lots of bloom second leaf. That tree can be 6-8ft tall by fall. Next year should be your first year of hoping for more set next year.

2 Likes

I totally agree with fruitnut. Flavor Supreme is one of those fruits that when Iā€™m eating a tree ripened FS, I frequently consider that it might be my favorite fruit. There are a few other fruits I feel that way about, so itā€™s not officially my ā€œfavoriteā€, but man! it is good enough to hijack a Flavor Grenade thread.

3 Likes

I have my Asian plums near each other and then European plums near each other but all in the same section. The Asian part has a Toka.

I drove 200 miles to pick up a Toka, as I heard they have gobs of pollen. I have not tried a Toka plum yet but from pics they look like a smaller plum. Thatā€™s OK as long as they taste good.

2 Likes

Well that was a first. I added my comment to your post.

1 Like

Iā€™m confused as well. I know I didnā€™t write that!

:joy:

1 Like

I have eaten tree ripe FS and they are great, but really, I donā€™t think you can improve on the flavor of old fashioined Elephant Heart whom Iā€™m guessing is a parent of these red-fleshed pluots. They also store very well when picked firm-ripe.

The problem is that here, EH is not a very consistent cropper at most sites and is also somewhat prone to freeze related cambium kill, traits I fear it shares with those red-fleshed pluots FN is raving about. He grows his in a greenhouse. .

3 Likes

Iā€™m in a comfy 9b and happily donā€™t have to sweat freeze problems.

2 Likes

As am I (9a), but last year it happened. Probably wonā€™t be that cold that late again in my lifetime.

2 Likes

This is SUPER useful for me. On my 4-1 pluot, I have Flavor King, Flavor Queen, Flavor Supreme and Dapple Dandy. I didnā€™t know FS needed such management. Thank you!

2 Likes

Thank you! Super helpful.

2 Likes

:slight_smile: interesting. Of the 4 in my multi graft, these 2 are currently the most vigorous. Iā€™ve been debating adding more varieties on top of them to try more things out and balance the vigor. Iā€™m going to see what fruit sets this year and decide based on that. But this is super useful info. Thank you!

1 Like

A short branch at the base of my FG.

4 Likes

For reference, Iā€™m assuming this is before thinning? When you thin, how much of that will you remove?