Flowers but no beans

So I have been impatiently waiting for my monte gusto pole beans to set some pods. They have been flowering for weeks. Maybe 3 already? Anyway, I have tons of pollinators, that shouldn’t be the issue. It’s been really hot, upper 90s, some 100+ days. Do beans like cooler weather to set pods? I grew them for the 1st time last year with great success.

1 Like

Too darn hot!

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/growers-library/vegetables/about-pole-beans.html

3 Likes

My Kentucky pole beans did the same thing and Was told that the high heat and humidity made the pollen gummy,therefore hard for the pollination process to take place.

1 Like

Well shoot. I have this irritating feeling that they will finally get in the swing of things just as I leave for a week to visit family out of state. I had hope to have several canner loads processed before I left. Best laid plans…

1 Like

From what i’ve read the heat shouldn’t be a problem. All my reading says beans like heat. I had the same thing happen to me here this year and it was from so much rain. The roots ALL rotted and just left beautiful plants with no Lima Beans that eventually i just took them all up. Here was my Lima Bean crop…

Pretty pathetic…

2 Likes

Oh that is so sad! Sorry to hear that! I have never had that happen before. Mine have had only as much water as they need. We have been in drought conditions so I have had to water them a couple times so far.