Fresh Lychee

i think it is also a pride thing. Or blood, sweat, tears, and toil thing. Many of us may have gotten acquainted to posters claiming what they grow are the best-tasting fruits, and we politely acknowledge it, taking into account all the challenges they hurdle, and all the extraordinary expenses and labor they put into it. Much like any dedicated parent will proudly say his/her child is the world’s ‘number 1’

we should note however that there are other people who have experienced growing the same fruits(ones being touted by the above mentioned whose experiences are limited to temperate usa) and who also have experience growing fruits(or have lived) in puerto rico, so fl/ca, and hawaii, and it is understandable that they too will have their own subjective(or biased) claims about which fruits are the better-tasting. And partly, the bias is based on the exact opposite-- because growing excellent tropical fruits in those areas don’t involve extraordinary measures or costs.

so when we rate fruits, the logistics have a strong influence.

it could also be a sentimental thing, or even a religious thing. As many have a tendency to cherish and respect the standards/beliefs they grew up with.
as an extreme example, and taking into account world events, someone who grew up believing in a certain deity will more likely deem that deity as THE real god, and that anybody else thinking differently is not in one’s pre-set standards, or outright wrong.

evidently, and not just in politics, there will be conservatives just as there will be liberals

it is absolutely delicious! Used to be just asian/hispanic stores selling it, so happy to see whole foods now offering the ‘king of all figs’

Lots of aroma, yeah. I’ve smelled it when my wife has had it and that is what will ensure that I don’t get any closer to it.

I’m sure I’m biased in some ways, but I try to give the tropical fruits a chance- maybe some day I’ll be able to grow them, either in a greenhouse or in a warmer climate. Lychee, Longyan, jujube, and non-astringent persimmon are all among my favorites. The last 2 aren’t strictly tropical, but they are foreign to what I grew up with. While I’m having some success with Jujubes, I haven’t done as well at protecting persimmons from winter die-back.

At the same time, some don’t appeal- mangos, dragonfruit, cherimoya, astringent persimmons, and the common bananas (the small finger ones are pretty good) are all pretty lacking to my tastes.

oh no, you’ve got to try it, at least one piece! Also, there are several cultivars, and different stages in maturity which appeal variably depending on the individual.

i agree, dragonfruit is more like a vegie than a fruit. I hope you get to try a prime mango variety and cherimoya, as most being sold in no. america are not at their best, having been picked sub-par to extend viability

Hey, JUJU, no harm meant. I guess I misused an expression. :slight_smile:

Lychees are definitely better IMO but those Rambutan in your pic look well past their prime. I’ve tried many varieties of rambutan but the seed coating alway kill it for me. I tried some yellow one in Puerto Rico that I liked a lot better than most of the Reds.

I haven’t Tony, but I’ll be looking for them now!

Have you been able to try any top varieties of mangoes? If you can get someone to ship you a box of varieties called Lemon Zest, Sweet tart, and coconut cream it will be impossible not to love them.

This person on FB ships and should have those varieties in the next few weeks. Kind of expensive but definitely worth it.

didn’t see anything to that effect, and i hope ditto with my response :slight_smile:

SMC, Jujus,

Just ate about 1/2 lb of it. The rest will go into the fridge.

Tony

4 Likes

coud eat that in one sitting!

1 Like

You wouldn’t feel that way about astringent persimmons if you could taste the one’s i have eaten last year.

Fully ripe they are a treat. Simply delicious!
And to those who don’t like the soft consistency there is always the alternative of combining them with other foods, like greek yogurt - Yuumm!!

Here is the variety i am talking about - Coroa de Rei - the best we have:

3 Likes

@Jsacadura - that looks awesome. I have had properly ripened astringent persimmon once in my life, and they are very good. I’m hoping sometime to be able to taste the North Central US cold hardy ones.

Had my first canned lychees this week and they were good. Never saw those around here before now. Bet they are amazing fresh.

That looks fabulous. I can taste it through the screen! Soooo good!

Yikes! Be careful out there. Worth a read:

That won’t be good on those survival TV programs where people are out starving in some wild place.

1 Like

From the article:

…which contained hypoglycin, a toxin that prevents the body from making glucose. Tests then showed that lychees also contained hypoglycin.

Does this mean that Lychee is a high brix fruit which is good for diabetics, in that it keeps glucose levels down (preferably not fatally)?

Can’t say I’m happy to hear that a fruit I like contains a potentially fatal toxin. Especially since I can put away a lot of them in one sitting.

I have been eating lychees by the pound like Bob for the last 50 years but no issues. I hate to give up this delicious fruit.

Tony

3 Likes

Thanks, Matt. Very interesting article.

Can’t recall if I have ever eaten lychees on an empty stomach. Also, I might have swallowed seeds/stones a time or two, too. Yikes!!