Fresh Lychee

I don’t need any other reasons to pass on leechees

1 Like

evidently the botulinum toxin and hypoglycin are a lethal scourge in developing countries, but seem to have medicinal value in nations where people are more than well-fed.

Matt the article mentioned a similar outbreak in the Caribbean, from Ackee fruit, which is poisonous unless cooked; it is sold in our supermarkets here, (in cans!). It is grown and served all of the time in Jamica. As for lychees I love lychees and was hoping to grow them in France. I will do more research.

I think you should give lychee a second chance. I remember you saying the texture was like squid, and I guess I’d have to agree with that. But the flavor! Like delicious fruit squid.

2 Likes

I love canned lychee and eat them frequently on an empty stomach. The texture and appearance certainly made me understand why they call them dragon eye. The texture is different but ive got accustomed to it. Would love to try fresh lychee. Strange to see an article advising they could be dangerous.

That one right there is among my favorites… it might even be my absolute favorite if I’m forced to choose. I know this is a 2 year old topic, but that is what to look for in passion fruit. Not those tiny sour purple things, but what you found there in Toronto is what to get. It’s very cheap and abundant (at the right time of the year) in Bagiuo, Philippines. The only place I’ve seen it in this hemisphere was at a Hyatt resort in Cancun. The Cancun fruits were hit or miss, maybe old? The fruits in the Philippines have never disappointed me.

3 Likes

Lychee season. I got 3 lbs . So sweet, juicy, and delicious. Also harvest a few Shinseiki Asian pears but my wife ate two right away.

4 Likes

I have 3 lychee trees out there for a few years, no fruit so far. I prefer Long An to be honest. Much easier to grow here and I like to eat them better than lychee.

2 Likes

@tonyOmahaz5

Checked around and believe i located some lychee after reading your post.

1 Like

have to say mexican lychees and rambutan are now of the same excellent quality as those grown in asia. And considerably cheaper now, at least here in vegas.
in early 2000’s ataulfo mangoes(philippine-type mangoes) sold in vegas were on the tiny side and over-priced. Now ataulfo’s are so much larger and incredibly cheap, and can no longer tell apart from the best ones had when lived in southeast asia.

2 Likes

I’m not too crazy about hairy rambutan, not mango either, every time I eat a mango I get a pimple, it’s too hot for me, lol. However, I like cherrymoya, jack fruit, but not durian. My worms go crazy for Jack fruit, that’s why I buy this fruit, lots of waste to feed my worms.

1 Like

mangoes are in the same family as sumac and could result in a mini-dermatitis/skin allergy.

semi-ripe mangoes(which have an irresistible sweet-sour combo) are unfortunately more allergenic as the rind is more sappy.

1 Like

Thanks for explaining to me. My family had a beautiful dwarf mango tree, so prolific, neighborhood kids liked to steal them from our yard, the fruit was so tasty, I never had pimples when I was younger, but now I’m in retirement age I get it. What a mystery? I do get more rashes now from swimming too. Maybe my skin get thinner as I get older.

likely an individual thing, as well as dose-dependent and/or latent allergic response. Many folks can eat green mangoes, the skin included-- lucky them! Incidentally, i am also mildly allergic to the fuzzy peel of longan, which is lychee’s cousin, in the same way that fuzzy peaches give me dermatitis on my lips.

But definitely won’t stop me from eating lots of peaches and longans! Just need to peel them and rinse away the fuzz.

2 Likes

@tonyOmahaz5

Lychee and rambutan have been good this year. Been snacking on them.Ordered some jack fruits. Have not seen mangosteen this year.

3 Likes

I saw some mangosteen today at Sprouts, they didn’t look good.

1 Like

@SoCalGardenNut

Maybe the crop is off everywhere this year for some reason.

I think they have to fly from somewhere, they are not local. Zion Mart advertised Lychee, I went there and there was nothing. Lately, I do not go outside of my city because of gas prices.

1 Like

I “think” this one is “Sweet Calabash” passion fruit. I am trying to grow Sweet Calabash and while the vine has been in the ground for a year, and grown from about 3ft to about 20-30 ft of vine total now, I have yet to see a flower. The other passion fruit I planted in parallel with this one (Purple Possum) has flowered and set tasty fruit already.

Yeah that looks like the right one. It’s sweet and can be a little tangy, but mostly sweet. It’s not a complex fruit but I love it. I just had it in December and in January when I was in the Philippines.

3 Likes