Garbanzos or Lentils in Texas?

Already planning for next season at my Urban Farm. Can these grow in Texas? Couldn’t find much info on either of these as it pertains to growing in the Lone Star State. I’m interested in trying them if anyone could provide any info I would appreciate it very much.

1 Like

I know garbanzo prefers sandy soils, and that both work in hot dry conditions.

1 Like

I can do hot and summer is dry here though this year has been rainier for sure. I’ll be growing them in a potting like soil so hold drain well. I’ll keep digging. Thank you very much!

1 Like

We tried to grow garbanzos here in east Texas one year. They did produce beans but I didn’t think they were very productive. It would take a heck of a lot of them to produce enough to make it worthwhile. We have kind of a sandy clay loam. Depends on the weather. It’s sink-in muddy when it’s really wet and hard as concrete when it’s really dry and hard to keep a moist balance; and all that is sitting on red clay.

Katy

1 Like

Have you tried other legumes and not had luck or was your bad luck limited to Garbanzos? Thank you for the input!

Drew

1 Like

We grow all kinds of peas and beans. Purple hull/blackeyes are very prolific. Pintos have not done as well for me. I forget what year we tried and what the weather was like. It could have been 2015…“the year of the flood”. And I don’t remember where we got seeds or if we just bought a bag from the grocery store. They came up and bloomed but the plants were just not healthy looking. It probably would be worth a trial on them. I really think it might have been the year with all the water falling from the sky until it quit falling and didn’t rain again that year… :flushed::slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Sounds like my experiences. Haven’t had much luck with pintos the times I have tried them either. Yes all the southern peas have really thrived for me. I’m growing Jackson Wonder Limas for the first time. I think I may just stick to what works. If I can find anymore details out about proper planting times I may try a few plots of Chick peas just to see what happens. I really thank you for your input.

Drew

2 Likes