Geneva Rootstock Evaluation-2016 Update WSU

http://treefruit.wsu.edu/news/geneva-rootstock-performance-2016-rootstock-trial-update/

4 Likes

Informative article thanks for posting!

Yes, thanks for posting this. Nine of our fourteen apple trees we planted this spring are on Geneva rootstocks- G16, G202, G210, G222, G30 and G890. The rest are on M7. So, I’m interested to see how they have been in doing in other places. But, they are in WA state and we are in KY, so the environment is quite a bit different. Is fireblight as big an issue out west as it is here?

Yes is is. Can be pretty bad in CA and WA. But you are right very different climates and growing conditions.

In my state (NC) G935 looks the best in the trials. Anybody tried to buy trees on G935?

Most large growers are having their trees custom budded by placing big orders 2 or 3 years ahead of planting time. Some commercial growers in NC are also growing their own trees. Growing apples and growing trees are two completely different skill sets, so its going to be interesting to see how well the apple growers do growing their own trees.

I have some trees on order on G-11 for next year. I have wanted to buy trees on Geneva rootstocks for a long time, but they were not available or they were too expensive. I expect the G-11 trees to be a lot more vigorous than my Bud9, but a lot less vigorous than G935. I’m having trouble getting most Bud-9 variety to the 9 foot trellis wire in my climate.

I have G935 on order from a root stock grower if they have enough stock available. I want to try a few trees on it and see how it does where I am at. Typically we graft to M7, B118 and M111. I am going to find something better than B9 for dwarf. Really just doesnt do that well here.

Reports from Eastern US trials over-estimate rootstock vigor / canopy volume potential for the arid conditions of Washington State.

Yes, this. And vice versa for us ample moisture folks.

The high yields from these rootstocks can cause the scion to slide off the rootstock, especially when the trellis fails.

Yikes… Are they saying the union isn’t great?

I believe the article about the scion slippage was more about the need for a very strong trellis to support the fruit load. It mentioned the target of 100 bins/acre in Washington. At 20 bushels/bin, that’s 2000 bushels/acre. Over 80,000 pounds of apples from just one acre - about two full tractor trailers! Don’t think those yields are possible in the east. No wonder they are so focused on the proper trellis.

2 Likes

I have two trees on G11 and I really like them they both grew slightly taller than the eaves of my house and I’d estimate they are ten feet tall. One is Pristine the other GoldRush. The darn Pristine hasnt bloomed in two years now but that is because of lack of chill I think and no fault of the rootstock. GR has bloomed like gang busters since the second year I put it in the ground. I’ll bet G11 will be a good rootstock for you. I know I’m a diffrent State but at least I am a southern grower.

Ten feet on a G11? That sounds tall for a rootstock like that. Did you stake or trellis them?

I have three trees on G16 that were planted this spring. I haven’t given them any support, but they’re obviously not producing, and only about 5 feet tall now. I would imagine I’ll have to stake them in a couple years, though.

They are a good foot and a half to two feet taller than the eaves of my house so they have to be close if not fully ten feet. Yes they are staked with heavy electric conduit pipe and attached with plastic coated wire in multiple spots. The trunk is pretty thin as are the major branches. I think G16 does need staking, I think.

Thanks Drew. So, you’re saying that these trees have been in the ground two years, and they’re already 10 feet tall?

Have you ever harvested any fruit off them? If they are just two years old, maybe not.

BTW, I also have a Pristine, on M7, and a Gold Rush, on G890. The Pristine hasn’t put out a lot branches, but seems to be OK, and the GR has been a bit more vigorous.

Of the three trees I have on G16, there are two Grimes Golden, and one Novaspy. Both the GG’s have sprouted leaves and little branches nicely, but the Novaspy, not as much. I’m sure I’ll have to stake them next year.

Speaking of blooming, I had maybe four or five of my 14 apples bloom just a month after putting them in the ground! And these were all (except a 6’ container tree) bare root whips.

Oh no, these two trees are five years old now. They grew out pretty quick though. I harvested some pristine three years ago and they were exellent. By the time the GR ripened the squirrells had gotten them all. The last two years the pristine didnt bloom at all due to lack of chill I presume so the GR isnt producing because it lacks a pollinator as There are no other apples that I’m aware of near me.

Good to know G11 does well in the south. From what I have seen B9 are not as vigorous in the south as in a cooler climate. I guess that makes sense since they were developed in a very cold climate.

I have Pristine and Goldrush too. Goldrush grows more quickly than many variety I have. They are tall but without a lot of spread. Both bloom and fruit heavily and must be thinned hard to keep from breaking branches.

Here is a picture of my trees in their 2nd and 3rd leaf - variety along with rootstock. I have picked the Zestar and the Liberty has about 25 apples on it. Those two and the Suncrisp bloomed this year, but the Suncrisp only had one cluster and aborted the fruit. The Kidd’s OR would be bigger, but I murdered the central leader this spring trying to spread a side branch out.

I am not sure what is going on with that Dabinett/G.222 combo. Though it shipped with only two roots on it from Cummins… and is planted in the lowest spot in the planting. It is probably too wet.

The fence is 4’ fence. So that gives a relatively useful scale.

6 Likes

Thanks Drew, for the pic, it gives a nice perspective. Don’t think I’ve heard about a Harrison or Brown’s Apple. I was maybe considering adding a KOR and a Suncrisp next year. We have a Liberty on G202, it seems to be doing well. Is this your first year harvesting any apples? Those M7 trees seem to be pretty vigorous.

I thought you had peaches, I guess they’re in another location?

Seems like squirrels are a real bane of apple growers, or fruit growers in general. We don’t seem to have a lot in our setting, even though we are up against the treeline. Guess we’ll see their effects soon enough when the trees start coming into production.

Harrison is an American cider apple variety. Brown’s Apple and Dabinett are English cider varieties. I have another Harrison/M.7 and Harry Masters Jersey/G202 in another corner of the yard to round out my cider collection.

This is my first year for fruit of any sort.

Yeah the M7 are too vigorous and all the info says they are poor producers… I won’t plant any more of those.

My peaches and plums are on the other side of the yard.

It seems I remember hearing years ago that in some spots even northern growers were having a hard time getting vigor and proper fruit size out of b9 but I cant remember were I heard that. I am really hoping that Pristine will bloom again this year so I can get my apples back. I need to probably graft in another pollinator this winter for GR as it seems to bloom like crazy every year.

So, I wanted to ask you how your Zestar’s turned out. We sampled some at the orchard last week, and both me and Mrs Dood thought they were almost as good as the Honeycrisp we tried. We brought home about 8 of them.

But, now after they’ve sit in the fridge for a week, I’m giving the edge to the Zestar. Crunchy, and a good balance of sweet and tart. We liked them enough to maybe add a Z tree next year.

The Jonathan’s we picked up were very good as well, but still a bit too tart. Maybe they need to sit a bit longer? If I can resist them, I’ll let them sit a week and see what happens.