Grafted pear

I’m still planting rootstock currently so I have not started grafting yet. I will fairly soon and normally would have already. The kind of rain your getting lately is a mixed blessing this time of year. I have sprayed once.

1 Like

Most of the rain actually missed me, they were predicting 4 inches or more and we only got 1 inch so far.

1 Like

I put sixteen new grafts on my pear tree today. Most were back ups of varieties that I already have but I added magness, Clara frijs, and hood.

4 Likes

It looks like some of my pear grafts are waking up, maybe I will have some photos to share soon. They seem a little slow this spring but the weather has just been all over the place. The next seven days look warm. I may graft some apples this weekend.

2 Likes

I added some varieties to my tree and also backed up some of my existing varieties.

This is a lanti jujuli I believe it is a cleft graft.

3 Likes

Here is my clara frijs

2 Likes

Jason,
They look excellent. How many pears do you have now? Asking more about types than trees.

Out of battery , try and answer tommorow

1 Like

I am sure no where near to your or others collections, forgive my spelling
Harrow delight
Honey sweet
Bartlett
Korean giant
Shensike
Shinko
Lanti jujuli
Clara frijs
Magness
Moon glow,(I think, just going from memory, I don’t have my notes)

These are all on one tree, I have also planted three ohxf87 this spring for future grafting

1 Like

Great collection Jason! One thing I noticed is you added the right varieties. I’m growing a lot of maybe varieties a long with the right ones.

1 Like

Here are some shinko Asian pear that I grafted on my tree last spring. I am very pleased to see pears on this tree for the first time in eighteen years.

5 Likes

Derby,
The Shinko I remember were round and later russet. Your pears look almost like a Euro pear. But maybe, it is too early to tell.

1 Like

Possibly, it is its first fruit so we will see how they turn out. Some of them are more round and russet, these were the biggest ones. I will try to get a photo of some of the others tonight.

Here are some photos of some of the other fruit on the same branch, what are your thoughts

1 Like

They will turn russet as the fruits get bigger. Did your Shinseiki fruit this year?

Tony

No, shinseiki did not, shinko did and one of my two Korean giant grafts had fruit but I lost the Korean giant that had fruit on it in a thunderstorm, my string got week over the winter an it broke loose from the support.

That looked more like it but I think it is too soon to tell one way or the other. I should not have said anything to begin with.

My Shinko fruited in year 3 and every year after. Not sure why your took so long. It cross pollinated with KG and 20th century. But Shinko was bland and rather small so I took the tree out two years ago.

It is really fine , I am always open to opinions. I may not have been clear, the tree is a standard pear rootstock that I have had for 18 years because the original grafted variety was damaged. I learned to graft last year and added eight varieties of pears to it.

3 Likes

If this is the 2 nd year graft and it starts bearing, you may want to keep only a selected few.

Yes, that is a good idea. I have removed some. I did not spray , I think I should bag a few of the nicest ones.