Grafted pear

I bagged all my A and E pears since there are altogether fewer than a hundred. If you have a few bagging is the way to go, IMO.

I bagged them at the size you have now. Even that size, I have already seen PC scars. Those pests are fast.

2 Likes

Yes , they are terrible. I have some scars on some of the pears. I have followed your bagging threads closely, no more fruit than I have I think bagging is the right idea at this point. I hope some day I have so much fruit bagging is no longer feasible.

I think I will stop bagging around 500 bags. Last year I bagged close to 200 of mostly apples. In one of the old GW threads, there were people who bagged in thousands.

You will have more fruit than you know what to do in a few years. Hope your area won’t have the weather like ours. Otherwise, there will be some lean years, too :grin:

3 Likes

Derby, your graft looks like it us really doing great! Have you removed the electrical tape at this point? That knot that is forming downstream from the tape, I think may be an indicator that it is time to remove or loosen the tape. I do this every year because after grafting I get busy and let things go and wind up with a lot of those.

Hope you get lots of good pears my friend.

1 Like

Yes, I have removed most of the tape , or at least partially removed it to give it room to grow, but thanks for the tip.

Very nice looking fruit! Pretty soon you will have all the fruit you could want.

1 Like

Yes, bushels of blemish free, sweet pears, well that is the thought that keeps me going.

1 Like

Jason,

In another year or so, your grafted pears will look like mine. Thinning like crazy. Lol.

Tony

4 Likes

I hope so!

I find myself at the point where I should start pruning back my pear grafts, but I’m hating the idea of cutting off what I put on

3 Likes

I cut my lanti jujuli back twice since I grafted it last year. I put it high on the tree where it would get good light but it really just wanted to shoot straight up. I hope the laterals I left will weep and fruit soon. Not really sure as I am a pruning novice

1 Like

Tony,

Looks like you have a very matured pear tree. Have you started thinning yet?

Tom

Several of my new grafts are 2’ long and I’m looking them over to decide how I want to handle them. When applicable I’m going to start bending these downward hoping to initiate fruit buds for next year. Most of my grafts are also going to supply me more scion wood for next season so I’m only pruning if absolutely necessary. Everyone’s situation is different. Bill

3 Likes

Tom,

I will be doing my second round of thinning this weekend. We got some hail storm last week so I will be taking lots more of the damaged ones out
Have you doing any thinning yet?

Tony

For the Asian pears, I’ve thinned whenever I walked out to the garden. So far, I’ve found some insect damaged fruitlets, undergrowth, over-abundant clusters as my thinning targets. Most of the gang-buster clusters are down to 3 pears, some are down to 1. I think further insect damages in the next few weeks will make my job easier!

With the Saturn peaches, I found it’s hard to rip them out since this is the 1st year that I have so many to bath my eyes in! But I did thin out about 50% of the original fruit sets. I think I’ll have to thin out more pretty soon.

My pluots set well this year. The FS, FQ and DD set densely. I think I thinned the least out of these 3 groups of fruit. Maybe 25%?

I’m still learning my way around to become a heartless orchardist , man!
This is an early May picture of the Hosui A. pear…

Here’s the Saturn peach. I need to thin more, I know! Just give me time to process my grief a little bit…

3 Likes

I’ve been bending mine down for a couple of years now, it’s a right tangle up there, but never a bud

They’re up pretty high so the weight of the theoretical fruit doesn’t drag them down to lie on the ground

1 Like

Anybody know if these hybrid pear cultivars are quince compatible?

Hood, Flordahome, 20th Century (Nijisseiki)

I harvested a rooted Quince C sucker off an ultra-dwarf Kieffer pear - I figured I might as well try to graft something on it.

I’m the same way. It’s hard to thin fruit when you hardly ever get any!

2 Likes

My shinseiki pears continue to grow. If I can get some to harvest it will be my first home grown asian pear. I would say this is approaching golf ball size. I hope they grow into nice big pears.

4 Likes

They don’t normally drop when they are that big. They look excellent!

1 Like