Grafting grape, some initial success

I have been trying for years to graft some fruit bearing grape to my healthy looking non bearing grape vine without much success.

This year it seems I have better result. these are a few of my graft, I grafted them about 5 weeks ago.

The scion wood of The 1 and 2 picture are much thicker than the 3rd one, as you can see they grow much faster.

In the past, I collect scion wood in the fall/winter and store them in refrigerator and tried cleft graft onto mature vine in the spring, without much result.

This time I just did green on green cleft graft, so far they look good. Not sure how many of them will make it to next year, but I have never got this much growth this fast in the past.

I remember I had some conversation on this forum about how difficult it is to graft grape successfully.

Just want to share my so-far-so-good result😄

7 Likes

I’m thinking about trying this graft on Muscadines so I just want to confirm the wood type. The scion was 2017 grown green wood and it was grafted onto new 2017 grown green wood. Was leaves removed from the scion? Thanks Bill

2 Likes

I think the stock is 2016, it is still green though:-)

The scion is 2017 green wood. I remove the leaves. See the pictures here:

3 Likes

Sara,
I sometimes graft to green pear wood but its tricky not to snap it off in my fingers. I was using dormant wood on non dormant wood and had excellent results several years.

3 Likes

Thanks Sara. That is exactly the information I was wanting. I don’t see much on this forum written about successful grafts of muscadines and grapes. Your grafts to me look like they will be ok. Bill

1 Like

I have used this method on apples and pears but not on grapes. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

I have had only three kinds of grafts reliably work on grapes: bench grafting and callous indoors at 85F; green on green, and dormant scion on green wood. I’m not sure how the pros manage to field graft over commercial orchards using dormant-dormant, but they somehow get it to work.

4 Likes

Oh, forgot to mention, I used parafilm cover the top of the scion and wrap around the bud hoping that will prevent them from drying out. Don’t know if it’s neccessary, but that’s what I did.

Hope this will work for you. I have tried all kind of graft I saw on youtube, never really worked for me. It looked so easy for them!:rage:

4 Likes

Thanks Clark! What kind of graft did you do? Cleft?, t budding?..

1 Like

I used cleft and whips this year on green wood and every graft took. T-bud does not work good that way because you need to slip the bud under the slipping bark of the pear but green wood has no bark. You might be able to modify the idea and use green non dormant wood and green non dormant wood whip grafts but I have not tried it. It would likely be much like tomato grafting https://extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/HO/HO-260-W.pdf

1 Like

Thank you! I think I will give it a try. This should work for peach and plum too right?

2 Likes

I will be going out on a limb if I said yes since I have not tried it but I would not see why not.

3 Likes

@fruitnut tbud tutorial was excellent T-budding tutorial but there is a slightly different method you might be interested in thats used for nut trees https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CaXkms7rB8 but it would work very well for fruit trees. With difficult grafts such as walnuts, pecan etc. there are many ways to hedge your bets https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcU5RTC4ZPM. Grapes are no different if traditional methods don’t work other methods will. You might also be interested in approach grafting Approach Grafting and Inarching. Here is a little more on vegetable grafting http://hos.ufl.edu/sites/default/files/faculty/gdliu/VegetableGraftingUF2-25-2015Compressed.pdf

2 Likes

Thanks for all the info! A lot to digest.
I like fruitnut t budding tutorial too. I learned so much from this forum and the old gardenweb!

2 Likes

I did this around the start of July and have had about half of them take. That’s much better than past efforts which are well under 5%.

Today I did a few more of the green-on-green cleft grafts. One thing I’m noticing is that it is hard to graft over some of my vines, as they get tangled growth and I have trouble removing the host and not the scion growth. When pruning today, I accidentally removed several feet of growth from one of the 3 success I had last year.

So, I decided to take a more agressive approach to removing the host vine’s growth. Here’s a Neptune which I decided to graft over.

All the grapes rotted last year (black rot, I think) and most of them did this year as well. This is in spite of fungicide treatments which seem to have worked for most of the other grapes. These two clusters are 70% of what is left on the vine. I decided that they weren’t worth bringing to maturity…

Neptune to start with:

A drastic Cut:

I’m not sure if a summer bark graft will work. I haven’t tried them before, but it’s worth a shot. The tape is vinyl and I put it sticky side out, as I wasn’t able to find my roll of rubber Temflex.

I’m not all that confident in the bark graft taking, so I added a green-on-green cleft graft (the thing I’ve started having success with) on the side-shoot just under the bark graft.

3 Likes

Bob, this time you will have real time side by side comparison to see which one works better on your latest graft. Let us know the result.

For this year’s green and green cleft graft, I just used strips cut from plastic shopping bag and wraped around the graft really tight and covered it really well. some of the grafting area were also covered by parafilm, some were not, either way works.

I did cover the top and the bud of all my scion with parafilm just like you did.

I think I got over 50% success rate, so far.

2 Likes

Nothing yet from either graft, but based on past time-frames, I bet I’ll see something in the next week or so (if ever).

I did get some successes from my 2nd round of summer grape grafting (mid July). Here are 4 grafts, all of which took (yay- though I there were a few failures on another vine). Only one used anything beyond parafilm (a small piece of black tape, which I found stuck to a bucket…yes, I still haven’t found my roll), but I did notice one graft on a different vine which came apart. Maybe something sat on it, or maybe I was just being cheap and didn’t use enough parafilm. The one on the bottom right of the pic looks a bit loose as well- I should add a bit to strengthen it up.

This is a bird-planted vine which I’m grafting over. It seems to have a susceptibility that my other vines don’t. Are these blister mites? They have a spot on the top and a projection on the bottom of the leaves. I’m not sure if I should prune out the damaged leaves, or just ignore them.

2 Likes

Bob. The graft takes on your grapes are impressive. I haven’t had any success with grafting muscadines as of now. The green method sure looks like it will improve my odds.

1 Like

That was quick…One day later and it looks like all 4 are breaking bud. It may have helped things along when I pruned off the bottom of the vine (2-3 days ago). It had a long cordon which was hanging down off the wall, then snaking it’s way through the figs. Once the grape lost the lower growth, maybe it figured that it needed the grafts.

Obviously, they could still die, but it is more encouraging than them just sitting there, doing nothing :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is really nice! Both methods work so far. All 4 of them are breaking bud. Impressive!,

1 Like