Hand pruner

I am hoping that both sides of the ones I have bought are plain edge and not serrated.

I prefer hand pruners that have a closure mechanism that closes without using a second hand in the process. This one is much more expensive and doesn’t actually cut better than the more primitive designs with excellent steel made by ARS and other Japanese companies, but I prefer them.

1 Like

I desperately need a pair of hand pruners (I’ve been working with a hand-me-down tool that’s probably 30-40 years old and VERY dull).

The abundance of choices on Amazon, Home Depot, “Pruners Warehouse” and elsewhere are overwhelming.

So my question is - what multipurpose hand pruner should I buy? I’d like one that is comfortable, stays sharp for a long time and is a good value. I don’t have a lot of time to research.

Also, do I want secateurs, bypass, or anvil style? Not sure what the differences are. Thanks.

For what it is this is a great value. https://www.amazon.com/MiToo-HP-VS8XZ-ARS-VS-8XZ-Hand-Pruner/dp/B07B8WXF8C

Otherwise you can buy a knockoff of the Felco design. https://www.amazon.com/Corona-038313642501-BP4250-Aluminum-Diameter/dp/B0007LXTQ4/ref=sr_1_9?crid=38Q47XJ5UBM02&dchild=1&keywords=hand+pruners&qid=1613676823&s=lawn-garden&sprefix=hand+pruners%2Clawngarden%2C175&sr=1-9

Most prefer a bypass and not a blade and anvil for pruning live wood as the anvil crushes it, and not in the good way.

The ARS has harder steel blades than the Felco making it harder to sharpen and harder to make dull. Not really very hard to sharpen if you use a proper sharpener for the task. I like a coarse diamond chef’s knife sharpener, but I am almost constantly pruning. Even after a week of constant pruning the ARS is still quite sharp.

The cheaper ARS models use the same steel, but they just don’t work as well for me.

2 Likes

I bought ARS after reading on this forum. They are absolutely fantastic.

4 Likes

I hate all versions of the rotating handle and it serves no purpose beyond reducing leverage for my hands. I used to get some repetitive motion aggravation when I used Felco, even with rotating handles, but there is just something about the ARS design that works for me.

You have three sizes you can choose from, also- 7, 8 or 9". One for every kind of right hand.

I am left handed but keep my pruning saw in a scabbard (Silky Gomtaro 300 course) on my left side with the pruners on my right. I end up sawing and pruning with both hands depending on which provides the best angle. Using the ARS wrong handed is not a noticeable liability to me.

1 Like

I really like the ARS pruners as well, and use them for most jobs where loppers or a saw aren’t required. For delicate cuts on scionwood and small rootstocks, I switch to a double-bladed pruner.

1 Like

I use the double bladed pruner for grafting cuts which makes splice grafts a cinch. I don’t understand how that design is supposed not to dull itself rather quickly- blade to blade.

1 Like

I was curious about that too, but found that the adjustable stop had been properly set to prevent the blades from actually touching. Holding the pruner up to the light reveals a tiny gap between them.

It’s held up well, so far, though I’m just a hobbyist. Yours likely sees much heavier use than mine.

1 Like

Hmmm, I may be a professional but I’m self taught or mistaught about those shears. When I look, the blades are touching and a gap occurs if I don’t properly sharpen it in a way that doesn’t damage the plane and creates gaps where the blades touch. Next time I’m using it I will try to figure out what you are doing to adjust it. I’m sure it’s fairly straight forward now that I know what I’m looking for.

I’ve already posted that I have several ARS 8. I love them, just cleaned them up with some 0000 steel wool after I’d found a pair that was outside in the elements for over a week, must have fallen out of my pocket during an impromptu hike down to the seasonal stream.

For thinning apples, I got these, which make it easy to get just the stems I’m after. Would be better if they were a bit sturdier, not great for using the very tip:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004SD76/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I lost the tip protector a long time ago. I just use a short length of vinyl tube

2 Likes

The danger of keeping ARS pruners in ones pocket instead of in a holster is that it can accidentally open because of its press release system which loosens over time. I once cut my hand quite deeply by reaching into my pocket energetically when I had accidentally opened my pruner. Usually I put the blades pointed down, but even then it can be inconvenient when they accidentally open- puts holes in your pockets for one thing.

I’m in the process of finding a small, sharp hand pruner ideal for keeping in my pocket. The Chinese model I’ve been using the past few years just isn’t of high enough quality.

For the hobbyist, keeping pruners in ones pocket is especially useful but even though I don’t need one during my main pruning seasons, for about 5 months of the year I don’t really want to wear a holster. In other words, a holster when the main chore is pruning is essential but when you are doing other things that require an occasional cut, the ARS may not be ideal. The Felco design is much less likely to accidentally open in your pocket. I may buy a knockoff for small hands to keep in my pocket.

Any recs for a small pruner for pants pockets?

3 Likes

Are Felco pruners the only brand that come in different sizes?

No. ARS, at least, does also.

1 Like

I bought a pair of the Fiskars at Lowes. Found them poor quality as the shears are aluminum, but I do like the design and utility. I’ll find another pair made of steel.

1 Like

Ordered myself the Bacho UL orchard loppers… and ARS VS8 Pruners. Appreciate all the tool talk here. Good to know what is working well for you all.

I have 17 fruit trees now and lots of berry bushes, vines, canes, etc… looking forward to using quality tools this year.

TNHunter

4 Likes

I’ve never regretted buying good tools once I started using them.

5 Likes

The problem is tools you expected to be good but can’t return once you find out different. Felco loppers and the Bahco extra heavy lopper come to mind. Ultra-light Bahcos are great for me, however.

I have lots of tools I’ve purchased that I ended up giving away or are banished to stupid storage.

5 Likes

Mine arrived yesterday… going to put them to use this weekend… They look and feel great.

TNHunter

5 Likes

I use Bahco’s longest handle light lopper. It’s amazing how much abuse they can take. I’m I’m strong enough to cut through a piece of wood they are strong enough too- I can’t break them. The longer handles don’t just give you more reach- they also provide more leverage.

If you didn’t get them and have the regular length maybe you can try the longer handled ones in your next life. Either model works great.