Helpful Book Suggestions

Thanks! Just ordered this.

I just picked that up along with The Organic Gardener’s Home Reference circa 1994 and Rodale’s All New Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening circa 1992

I added a few fruit related memoirs to the wants list, I’ll share them if they are good.

@MrClint The way you listed and linked those books made it super easy to follow, and not lose any suggested books.

1 Like

I haven’t tried it yet, but I just found out about another bookstore https://www.abebooks.com/?cm_sp=TopNav-

I wanted to put a plug out there for the book Paradise Lot as it doesn’t appear to be mentioned yet in this thread. I’m halfway through it now (I bought it half price at the Chelsea Green sale recently) and I have to say, there are a lot of great plant recommendations. Different varieties of salad green options, violet varieties that taste like vanilla, great zone pushing suggestions to overwinter aquatic plants, the list goes on. Some others have mentioned it in other posts and I just hadn’t thought it would have as much new information as it does after spending as much time as I have on this forum.

1 Like

The anatomy of dessert. This book gives me the inspiration to keep going. I re-read it all the time. I have planted many fruit trees described in this book.

1 Like

Great book!

Interesting old study of apple tree training from 1932.

A Study of the Framework of
the Apple Tree and Its Re-
lation to Longevity.

You can download it free here:
https://skillcult.com/freestuff

2 Likes

Given I work on lots of apple trees in former commercial orchards well over a century old, I have to question the very premise of the book. Many of the trees I manage have huge wounds from the removal of giant scaffolds because trees were originally trained to an open center with as many as 8 scaffolds.

Maybe in Illinois longevity is an issue, but here in S. NY, even trees on M7 often live over a century and high productivity of quality fruit on trees low enough to be reasonably easy to harvest is all that is really important to a home grower.

1 Like

Just got this book for Christmas and I’m loving it so far. It really strikes me that despite the author’s efforts and our age old knowledge that little has changed in the American agricultural system. This book could’ve been written today and I wouldn’t have known the difference, but it was written almost a century ago. The only constant is change but we resist it at every opportunity

3 Likes

I will second Ampersand and Jujube’s tip: Tree Crops by Russell Smith is the book that started me on my way. I cannot recommend it enough. The word “classic” doesn’t do it justice. Written roughly 100 years ago, filled with wisdom that we as a nation have largely ignored.

3 Likes

Trees of Power by Akiva Silver is another great book in the same spirit as Tree Crops with additional practical advice. Almost done with it and I’ve loved it

2 Likes

Older books like sir albert howard an agricultural testament are worth reading

This text only version might look better on your device

https://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks02/0200301.txt

1 Like