Henry Morton's 1986/87 Apple Catalog

@BenHawggard You’ve got some very rare ones there! Glad to see you keeping them alive. Where are you?

1 Like

Zone 7 northeast Arkansas. My dad grafted brushy mountain, caney fork, Victoria this year and Myers royal last year.

2 Likes

Hey Charles, good to see you over here. :slight_smile: Yes I’d definitely be interested in those Limbertwig scions next spring. Hopefully I’ll have something to trade that your interested in.

1 Like

Awesome I’ll make sure to get them to you. We also have coffelt beauty which goes by the new improved limbertwig that you may not have greyphase.

Hey Charles, I have Dula Beauty which is also called Coffey Seedling. The Big Horse Creek website says that’s its a Limbertwig seedling. Could this be the variety your talking about?

Nope coffelt beauty is one of our Arkansas apples cross of been Davis and red limbertwig. Supposed to keep better then red limbertwig but taste better then been Davis.

Amother name for Coffelt Beauty/Improved Limbertwig is Wandering Spy, it was one of Wyatt Coffelt’s apples. Please overlook my mistake on it being a Highfill apple, I’m working with my nightshift brain today.

1 Like

OK Charles, you can definitely throw a piece of that in with the other scion next spring. :grin:

1 Like

We will get you covered

1 Like

We want future updates on how these apples perform/taste for you all.

Matt I’ll do my best we got close to 85 varieties now but they are all on b118 and most are on anatovonka so it may be a few years.

1 Like

Thanks to those involved in getting this catalog and then providing it here for us to review and enjoy. I had been trying to find Henry Morton’s catalog for years.
A big THANK YOU!!!

1 Like

That Smithsonian apple article is the exact one that got me interested in starting my orchard. I had an orchard years ago at another house. Got disinterested in the varieties I saw at the local orchards. After reading this article I started looking for heirloom apples. It opened up a whole new world of tastes and varieties.

2 Likes

Any updates on some of these more obscure limbertwig varieties? Anyone had the meyers green? Thinking of adding it. Thanks.

I have it but wont have fruit till next year (Hopefully). Ben Lamond was exceptionally tasty and i should have a Rose limbertwig to taste next year also. Carolina LT is still a couple years out.

2 Likes

Thanks for making this resource available!!!

Any updates/photos on Meyers Green or Carolina?

Greetings, how would I be able to get my hands on the Coffelt Beauty/Improved Limbertwig/Wandering Spy?

1 Like

You might ask Ron Joyner at Big Horse Creek Nursery, NC or David Vernon at Century Farm Nursery, NC

2 Likes