Honey Crisp - I do not get it

I have mine growing on a multi interstem graft. It gets plenty of sun and I have it spaced 15’ between other fruit trees. The leaves just look sickly ( looks almost variegated) and looks like it is lacking magnesium- via some photo comparisons. Yet all the other trees around it look fine.

I do appreciate your information about it being a genetic flaw. I will give it a couple of more years. I will try and graft something else on it next year.

1 Like

When a HC tree is struggling the discoloration is more pronounced- HC benefits from a more vigorous rootstock, comparatively.

1 Like

Genetic defects may be result of repeated inbreeding.

2 Likes

I realize it’s been awhile since you were eating that Honey Crisp apple, but I’m with ya! I bought some yesterday. They were heavy and very firm . . . so I expected a crisp apple. Nope.

I’ve taken to only buying 2 or 3 of any apple, most times. If they are great . . . I go back and get more.

This year I really loved ‘Opal’ apples. Very intense flavor. I used to love Jonagold. I like firm, crisp and a bit tart. They were wonderful. But, not this year’s. Disappointed.
I don’t think it’s my imagination - but it seems as though the first couple of years that you see a variety in the stores . . . they are good, even great. Then little by little, the love affair has to end, because the apple just isn’t the same.

Coincidentally . . . we adopted a little Shih Tzu mix from a SC rescue. I saw her on Petfinder . . . and her name was ‘Opal’. We kept her name. It fits.

And her namesake . . .

14 Likes

@Matt_in_Maryland
Matt! These apples are amazing. I don’t even try here in my area of VA. Too many bugs and maybe our summers are too hot. Some die-hards grow pie apples - scrawny little green things.
With apples like these - who needs pomegranates? (just kidding)

3 Likes

I’ve had plenty of store bought apples that to be honest are just crap. Never was a fan of Honeycrisp until last month when I bought a bag of them. Somehow they were incredible. One of the best apples I’ve had. Also had some store bought Fuji that were incredible. Both varieties I normally never look forward to. Hopefully I can replicate that flavor on my home grown apples. If anyone knows why I had those 2 amazing experiences, I’d love to hear the reasoning.

2 Likes

Karen, what a great rescue! I love dogs!

3 Likes

Fujis don’t need great storage, but the HCs were probably so good because they were just out of controlled storage with no oxygen and tasted the way they would off the tree. The reasons they vary in quality off the tree has been well discussed here. Fujis tend to be pretty consistent from local growers but when you buy from the store the shelf storage adds lots of other flavors that usually don’t go well with the apple- including air freshners, other artificial scents in cleaning products, onions, etc. The shorter they are in the store the better they are likely to taste.

1 Like

It has to do with picking time, growing conditions, proper storage, and length of storage.

Honeycrisp ripens from last week of Aug thru end of Sept. That’s when it’s at its peak. It stores marginally well. It is possible to get a decent Honeycrisp as late as Jan if kept in gas-controlled cold storage. But if it sits around for a couple weeks at room temperature, then it softens, and you lose its special flavor and texture.

Australia/ New Zealand also grow excellent Honeycrisp on the other side of the planet. Good ANZAC Honeycrisp can be found shipped to U.S. groceries in February (it’s autumn down under in February).

Fuji doesn’t ripen domestically until Oct or Nov. That’s when it has that grassy “American Red Apple” flavor. Fuji improves drastically in cold storage… getting sweeter and juicier… until it peaks in March. Fuji eaten straight out of cold storage in Feb or March are fantastic. Folks don’t realize it is one of the premier “keeping” apples… behind perhaps only Goldrush in that regard. In terms of conventional grocery store apples, it IS the best keeper. Fuji even keeps longer than Cripps Pink Lady.

Timing is everything.

5 Likes

@alan @Matt_in_Maryland

Thank you both for clearing this up. It’s a tricky thing. Normally you would think these apples would taste their best straight off the tree, but then again some develop better flavor in storage. Going to be some trial and error when I finally let my apples put out some fruit this year. Is there some kind of rule of thumb I can use or do I simply need to put the time in to fully understand each variety?

Here, Honeycrisp starts dropping before it is ready for harvest, if that’s what you are asking about. Fuji is just a matter of waiting for green to turn yellow in background, but seeds should also be nearly black.

Lots of things to manage! Those factors really effect grocery store apples and they may be more important than actual apple variety when choosing something good to eat, In my opinion.

Sometimes supermarket Honey Crisp apples are great but frequently they are no better than “fair.”

Same for Gala, Fuji and others

I wish I could always choose a great apple from the supermarket I’m not sure how to do it.

Unfortunately, the region where the apples were grown does not seem to be a good predictor either but I always look to see if I can identify the grower/packer.

The main problem with HoneyCrisp as a far as I can tell is that everyone can grow it now and not everyone has the climate to do so properly. There has been a lot of derision about New Club apples. Then again a some of the club apples are not new Zestar! and Pink Lady are older cultivars and off patent. New Cultivars such as SweeTango, Opal, Cosmic Chisp, Jazz all have something going for them, consistency. Limiting the growers and putting requirements on them is why so many commenters agree Pink Lady is the only grocery store apple they like consistently. University of Minnesota’s HoneyCrisp apple literally saved the apple industry. And for there efforts they only got a royalty was $1 per tree and that has expired now. Zestar! and SweeTango from University of Minnesota are Club but they also pay for the breeding program. Same goes for Cosmic Crisp and Washington State University.

Club apples are a double edge sword smaller orchards are left out. But at the same time as recognizable club apples grow. The concept that apples with names exist grows. And when a named non club apple gets displayed next to know names the resistance to trying is reduced.

1 Like

I was very glad when I no longer required apples from other growers, let alone from supermarkets. Apple trees are very productive and adaptable to a wide range of climate so those of us in all but a few regions should eventually be able to grow what we need most years.

1 Like

You’ve captured well a number of my thoughts about apples from the store. Funny though, after praising Opal, and their consistency, I got a number this year with mediocre or worse texture :frowning: I’m guessing they spent too much time at room temperature before I bought them.

Oops, I’ve been having reading comprehension problems lately. Sounds like you are saying Opal were disappointing this year. I agree. I had a few excellent ones at the start of the season, but then… Lady Alice and another that slips my mind also came out of the gate strong for a year or two and then let me down.

1 Like

I had some great Opals from our supermarket, but the next week they didn’t look very nice. Luckily our supermarket are carrying some very nice Macoun apples still. I’m amazed they are still crisp and pretty good.

1 Like

@BobC
Bob . . . we had 4 dogs (we called them the Fab Four). Two Jack Russells, a Frenchy, and a Chihuahua. Over a period of 2 years, we lost all of them. We had made the mistake of getting them all at about the same time. :cry:
So, stupidly . . . here we go again. We got a Havanese from the Havanese Rescue and he needed a buddy. So we found Opal. They are so cute together. I’m home, alone, a lot . . . and they are good company.

10 Likes

@ross
You probably were just in the right place at the right time - and they were very fresh. I
had a similar experience. I mentioned above, that I loved the Opal apples this year.
So I went back a couple more times - and picked up a few more. Then, again, this week - not so good. So, maybe they had just been stored too long. ?

I bet they make a great painting together

2 Likes

I loved the Sweet Tango apples this year. All gone now . . .
Remember when a Granny Smith was crisp and delicious? Not any more. They are usually mealy.