How to Capture a Groundhog?

Yeah. A family of groundhogs has a den just outside of my garden underneath a log pile. I found where they came in from. I’ve captured three this year, but once they get to a certain age they’re just very cautious and difficult to trap.

3 Likes

OMG, groundhog can do such demadge?! We had groundhog living near garden,all it did was eat my veggies

2 Likes

I shot six groundhogs in the last couple weeks. They ate 1/4 of my gardens. I think the rest of them moved away for a while. I hope they don’t come back. I read nothing likes to eat potatoes, ya right! They ate ten tomato plants too. They usually don’t eat those. They love, beans!

2 Likes

Ughhhh, caught this stinky guy instead.

7 Likes

Have you heard about a tarp approach? I have been successful with it every time.

I’ve learned not to leave the trap door open at night. Skunk usually starts going out at dusk.

2 Likes

Oh my Steven. I hope this turns out well. Let us know.

2 Likes

I was able to release it without getting sprayed. Terrifying, though.

8 Likes

We caught a baby skunk in my greenhouse in a Hav-a-hart trap one morning. I moved it out and covered with old towel so we could finish breakfast. Wife insisted on fooling around with the trap even after I told her I’d release it after I finished eating. Guess who got sprayed for her troubles?

4 Likes

First of the season. This guy had dug a tunnel under the fencing around my garden and came up through a row of gooseberries.

11 Likes

This one animal I could do without! We had them in Maine. Horrible things!

3 Likes

Congrats.

Just lastweek, a groundhog was back. it acts like it owns our backyard. Very frustrating because it is to be too smart to get in a trap. But I have never used strawberries. I have tried all kinds of melons and lettuce. Not worked.

I need to clean the trap per @galinas’s suggestions. The trap has been used successfully with squirrels.

1 Like

We have groundhog patrol this year (flying in pairs). They made a nest again in the tree near by, I have big hopes for them! My unprotected lettuce-indicator is not showing signs of presents of a beast so far.

2 Likes

I re-read your washing suggestion. I don’t think I need to wash the chemical smell off since this is an old trap (Havaheart). I may need to wash off any smell of squirrels!!!

1 Like

Just try peanut butter)

Don’t want chipmunks to get it. So far chipmunks have eaten my peanut butter and sunflower bait intended for There

Yes, they could be an issue. But as soon as they not heavy enough to trigger the trap, there is a way to deal with it. You just need to protect your peanut butter and place it inside the trap protected. Here are some idea how to protect it: Any small container with holes pocked in it and linked to the trap, metal can placed under the trap(dig a hole for it, place can in the hole , the top should be on the soil level, place peanut butter inside, put trap on top making sure the can is in the right position to be behind the pedal), metal mesh suet bird feeder with peanut butter placed in the middle linked to the trap. And one more just came to my mind! Place small closed chipmunk trap with peanut butter inside the big one :grin:

In Maine I shot them. I think your neighbors would be upset, like mine!

I got rid of mine this year with double bubble bubble gum. They like to eat this stuff and can’t digest it. Dead. This was a week ago. Haven’t seen any sign of it since.

I chased one on a road dirt road once, probably 15 mph right up until the sharp turn and 10 ft dropoff to a creek. He did a superman dive out into the abyss and I’m sure was fine.

1 Like

Death by bubble gum! Incredible!:hugs:

1 Like