Hybridizing stone fruits

I saw a report once (can’t find it now) that crossed a peach with a nectarine and all offspring had fuzz. Crosses between the offspring resulted in 25% with smooth skin, which is what I’d expect with a simple dominant/recessive gene from homozygous original parents. If you can tell which peaches carry a recessive smooth gene, perhaps it’s more complicated and a bit like eye color genetics.

I’ve seen the term peacharine in a variety of places. Seems like more marketing than science though. I agree with you, if it’s prunus persica and has fuzzy skin, seems like peach would be the appropriate term.

3 Likes

Well curious to see what comes about with my crosses of peaches and nectarines, if I can keep them alive! The seeds were planted outside.

1 Like

I have always considered the peach and nectarine to be basically the same with one exception, the nectarine is easier to wash and eat without peeling. Bill

2 Likes

I’ll try to look for that article. I’ve read it, too.

I wonder what would a peach x nectarine x apricot, or peacharinecot would look like?

1 Like

Kingsburg Orchards markets peach x nectarine hybrids as peacharines.

I also wonder what a four way cross --( peach x plum) x ( apricot x nectarine)—hybrid would look like in terms of foliage, seed, and course, the fruit.

an apricot size fuzzy ball :grinning:

1 Like

apricot and nectarine…a nectacot…i have one from Gurneys? but i read its not really a true cross or something…they tricked me good. The thing has flowers on it this year…we’ll see if they make it.

That Nectarcot is 100% apricot, nevertheless, there’s a true apricot x nectarine hybrid. The fruit looks like an apricot, but it has the seed of a nectarine.

I think it best to have a goal in mind. Some of the crosses by Zaiger really are not that good, and considering they release most of the good ones, it is not that encouraging. A good example is the Spice Zee nectaplum, which looks like any other nectarine, and too me the taste is very boring. When Tom Spellman said it was one of his favorites I thought it would be great. It is not. I plan to slowly turn mine into a rootstock.

My plumcot: Krauter Vesuvious plum, seed parent, x F1 Moorpark Apricot.

and Chocolate Jewel Plum: Mariposa Plum, seed parent, X Krauter Vesuvious Plum, pollen Parent, produced a lot of flowers but no fruit.

On the other hand, this KV Myrobalan plum seedling, produced flowers and fruit—I hand-pollinated a couple of flowers with peachmond pollen.

2 Likes

Flavor Top Nectarines. I hand-pollinated them with Sweet Bagel Flat peach.

1 Like

I hope this question is in line with this thread. Do any of you save pollen and if so how do you do it. My interest is short term 4-5 weeks storage to control both parents of the seed. Bill

I keep it in a newspaper inside the fridge.

1 Like

Peach x Almond pollen.

2 Likes

I wonder what would my peachmonds taste like?

2 Likes

How do you collect pollen? Do you dry it?How long it can be stored and be still alive?

I collected fresh pollen, and Immediately stored it in the freezer. I don’t know how long it will last. This is my first time that I have saved pollen.

I heard long time ago, that pollen can be stored for long time, If it is dried. I am not sure it is true or not

1 Like