Hybridizing stone fruits

Chocolate Emerald plum, a cross between Santa Rosa Plum, seed parent, x Krauter Vesuvious Myrobalan plum, pollen parent.

3 Likes

I know one variety from Ukraine that is supposedly nectarine/apricot cross but I think it’s plum x apricot. The name is “Gvardejskij” and taste is nothing special. I know of one tree about 20 miles from my place but never tasted it. The fruit has definitely appealing and original look

5 Likes

Cool looking!

I think people often jump to conclusions based on vague similarity of the look of the fruit. I agree that doesn’t look like it has any nectarine genes in it. I have an apricot, Yakimene, which people claimed was a peach/apricot cross, but having grown it I believe it is 100% apricot. But its large and has a similar texture to a peach so someone called it a hybrid and it stuck.

That’s the most beautiful apricot that I ever seen.

These ones are true apricot x nectarine hybrids.

2 Likes

what doesit taste like?If tasted like an apricot, then it is a winner.

I’m confused about this whole hybrid thing. I have always heard things like "if you have a Japanese plum, you will need another Japanese plum. Or if you have a cherry, you will need another to pollinate it. Is it really that you just need 2 varieties of stone fruit?

I found the picture on the internet.

It is confusing. Even the use of the word hybrid as all Japanese plums also are hybrids.

On some yes, you do. Not all though.

it is confusing as some of the varieties of plums and cherries are self fertile. Those do not need cross pollination.

If I don’t remember, I just google “plum pollination chart” or “cherry pollination chart”. if I don’t find the answer, I ask here. Usually someone will know :grinning:

I still don’t know how cross pollination on peaches and plums or apricots and nectarines even works. I mean will they always cross or is it just some will cross. Will any apricot take peach pollen? Will any plum except nectarine pollen? Will any apricot take plum pollen?

Some will cross and some will not. For example, based on my observations, Elberta Peach will pollinate F1 Nonpareil Almond.

F1 Moorpark Apricot, and Santa Rosa Plum will not pollinate Flavor Top Nectarine. But Sweet Bagel Flat Peach will.

Elberta Peach pollinates F1 Moorpark Apricot, and F1 Moork Park Apricot pollinates Elberta peach seedlings.

How do you make sure that what you pollinate it with is actually what fertilized it? How do you know that some pollen didn’t blow in there before you had the chance to do it yourself?

The flowers can be bagged just before they open and again after pollen is applied. Brady

1 Like

Well if you want to absolutely be sure. You open the flower at popcorn stage and pollinate it, then bag it. Brady’s way works too.

Myrobalan plum seedling.

3 Likes

Luna peach x almond hybrid clone rootstock.

2 Likes

Myrobalan interstem onto Luna Rootstock.

3 Likes

F1 Elberta Peaches will be ready in about two weeks.

3 Likes

Peacharines.
Both trees share the same seed parent, Elberta Peach.

3 Likes