I might have a problem

I planted 4 fruit trees last spring…then 5 more last fall…then I went to the nursery yesterday to round it out to an even 10 with an Anjou Pear…but today I stopped by Ace just to see and came home with a Juicy Jewel Asian pear, a Kieffer Pear, a Rainier cherry, and another Contender Peach.

At least now I’m pretty much out of room on my 1/2 acre so there’s no danger of planting more…until I start cutting down landscaping trees!

21 Likes

I suggest pruning right above the soil line for the landscaping trees :grin:

14 Likes

I feel seen.

6 Likes

I started this with a pretty fool proof plan. And along the way you meet folks who bring to your attention other worthy candidates. Unfortunately for me many were big names in Southern Heritage apples. So they make offers you dare not refuse. So the plan goes awry. Before you know; you need 150 root stocks. And some of these folks like you and have collections of stuff they want you to plant next year too…lol…This hobby…It creates problems.

14 Likes

Next stop: more acreage

13 Likes

That right there. :grinning:

7 Likes

Sometimes I get all giddy and order a bunch of stuff online and then a couple weeks later think to myself where on the world am I going to put that now? The plan when I was ordering it doesn’t seem like that good of one now…but I’d hate not to have it…

Original plan was to stay in the backyard with everything—I’m working my into the side yards now.

13 Likes

I have 15 figs in pots and I got 27 more cuttings of figs over the winter to root. I’ve never eaten a fresh grown fig. 4 jujube trees planted last year, never eaten a jujube. 2 kaki persimmon trees planted last year, never eaten a kaki persimmon. 2 goumi bushes planted last year, never eaten goumi. it goes on like this…

19 Likes

I hope I sell off a third to half of my collection. Keep a mother tree on a Geneva and another on P.2. Start a stooling operation for the 5 types I have. There are some things extra I want to do. Like a fancy Howgate Wonder on a dwarf trellis. But those will be exceptions.

1 Like

i feel your pain. i still have 60 apple trees in my garden and have 20 root stock still coming. Original idea of 1 acre is full.

10 Likes

Or until you discover which ones are graft compatible with fruit trees!

P.S. If you buy more property, it should be along one of your award-winning fjords!

5 Likes

In the homesteading world we call this chicken math. I think it applies to growing fruit as well.

23 Likes

1/2 acre is a lot of lawn to fill up. If it takes more than 15 minutes to cut the grass, there is too much! I think we will be at less than a 10 minute mow after mulching the entire north side of the house last fall.

9 Likes

I see a whole lot of mulching in your future, and in those beds you have a lot of room for companion planting bushes!

3 Likes

It did cross my mind that serviceberry is in fact Maleae

3 Likes

What kind of serviceberry? I’ve not tried the wild (arborea) in my area but my Autumn Brilliance (grandifolia), bred for beauty, I think tastes much better than the Regent (alnifolia) and Northline (alnifolia) despite being 2/3 of the size. Regent and Northline tasted like apple with some blueberry while the Autumn Brilliance tasted like blueberry with some apple.

3 Likes

This is a Rainbow Pillar (canadensis). Planted last spring and hasn’t made any berries yet. Honestly not a big fan of this particular one; I picked it before they leafed out, and upon return trips to that same nursery this variety was the least robust. Would prefer an autumn brilliance. The native one here is Saskatoon (alnifolia) which I’m quite fond of, someday I’ll just transplant one slated for excavation at work into my yard.

1 Like

I have a yard/greenhouse filled with this exact logic haha

6 Likes

Start by tossing the Kieffer

3 Likes

I have growing here… including new adds this year.

14 Persimmons (2 asian 6 hybrids, 6 americans) not counting all the wild trees that I have that are producing fruit.

8 apple trees, 3 mulberry trees, 2 pears, 2 jplums, 1 eu plum 2 cherry trees, 1 CHE, 1 Medlar, 2 serviceberry, 1 fig…

Then in cane/bush/vine fruit…
2 goosberry, 2 currants, 2 muscadine, 1 grape, 2 goumi, a patch of elderberry, 3 beds of blackberry, 3 beds of raspberries, 2 beds of blueberry, 2 beds of strawberry.

I still have lots of room to add more.

I am going to slow down on the new adds… next year :wink:

10 Likes