Introducing myself to Scott's forum

Ok … the challenge is on

Send me fresh homegrown tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers and oranges in winter and I will send apples!:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Mike

Welcome Jeremy! :0)

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone…I find it hard to believe there aren’t more Floridians here…there are lots of knowledgeable gardeners down in my neck of the woods, but not so much with the fruit trees…that is unless it’s citrus…

Been in Jax for 25 years, but I’ve only started gardening more seriously the last few… Interestingly enough, there are quite a few really good books about gardening in Florida, even some specific to North Florida…After my abysmal summer I decided to give things a rest…got started a little too late and the heat wreaked havoc on everything…I’m planning to do some fall tomatoes and greens…pole beans are pretty easy here too, but I haven’t had much luck with carrots…

Right now I’ve been concentrating on my fruiting trees and shrubs, I’ve got 4 apple, 3 pear, flame grapefruit, valencia orange, meyer lemon, a couple of newly planted peach/nectarine plants and nearly 20 blueberry bushes…

it keeps me busy…

Welcome, Jeremy! Sorry for the late welcome, been a bit busy out here in S. California. Glad you found us, and I know you’ll enjoy the forum, lots of very informed members. We look forward to all your photos of your garden, veggies and fruit trees.

Patty S.

Hi, Community admin and members!
I’m abhirupmaurya, a garden lover, have registered this community to share my view regarding gardening. And hope this community will help for my queries. I’ve read some of discussion and excited to join such community.

Thanks again!

1 Like

Welcome

Welcome!

I think you are probably our first member who is living in India. I’m sure that we can learn as many interesting things from you as you can from us. I’m so glad to see you here! By the way, how did you find our forum?

The high plains of Texas has no native trees and aside from mesquite, few will survive here without help. I’m trying to grow fruit for the grandkids knowing most of it doesn’t belong here. Jujubes do well. Apples, pears and sour cherries fruit most years. Peaches, apricots, plums and sweet cherries fruit about one out of six years if the trees survive winter temperature fluctuations. I’m trying to find late fruiting hardy (not to cold but to temperature swings) varieties to improve the odds.
I’ve been reading from the start but now I have a few questions. Glad to be here.

Welcome aboard , lots of helpful people here.

Welcome Tx, glad you found us. We have a few TX forum members, so I am sure you’ll feel right at home!

TX, welcome! It’s nice to see that you’re ready to speak out and ask questions. Questions are a way of contributing to the forum. I learn so much when people ask questions that I wouldn’t have thought to ask. Sometimes it makes me think of things from a different perspective. So, please ask away!

Welcome Jeremy, Abhirup and Tx. Glad you’ve joined us.

Txpanhandle:

I spent 30 yrs growing fruit in Amarillo. That’s a tough climate but I don’t think Alpine is any better. Amarillo climate is the reason I moved to CA and now have a greenhouse here in Alpine.

Hi all
I’ve been lurking around for a few months but decided to join.

Born and raised in Anchorage AK, where I gardened for 40 years. Bought a house in the Phoenix area 5 years ago and started snow birding here. My wife is in AZ most of the time, but I’m not retired yet, so fly back and forth.

My house in Anchorage is on a 1 acre lot and I have 2 greenhouses, 2 veggie gardens and 30 or so flower beds. My AZ lot is 6000 sqft with a 2200 single story sitting on it. Quite a down size for me.

The back yard had one lemon tree, one oak tree and some flowering shrubs in the back yard. I put in a Fairchild and a tangalo 3 years ago, (first real crop this winter). 2 years ago, I removed the Oak and relocated 1/2 the bushes then put in a Spicy Z, 3 multi budded with asian pears, peaches, nectarine, apricot and Santa Rosa and two grapes. In the last year, I added a Flame grapefruit, Cocktail grapefuit, Kishu, Meiwa, Valentine pumallo, Washington, Cara Cara, Torocco, Pixie mandarine, a Wonderfull pome and a Sundowner apple.

I have 7 more stone fruit trees on order for January. That’s going to pretty much fill up the back yard.

2 Likes

Welcome JimP

Welcome JimP. Will be very interested in hearing your gardening in Alaska

Welcome Jim. I have an Alaskan brother who just moved to New Hampshire- he might have moved to Tucson instead but he and wife wanted to be near the daughter who just had twins in NH. His wife was happy to leave, but he is in love with Alaska.

He’s coming down here to my place in SE NY to pick up some fruit trees from my nursery in NOV. He and his wife have about a 4 decade pent up desire to grow fruit.

This is quite a change for me. It snowed in Anchorage a couple of days ago. Meanwhile, I’m planting 3 citrus trees in 106F temp.

I flew down two weeks ago, headed back tomorrow. I need to winterize the gardens - empty out the green house, put plants in the root celler to winter them over, pull up the dalhlia tubers etc. Oh yeah, gotta go back to work.

One of my brothers moved to south of Tuson. He likes it there.

Welcome, Jim. Wow! That’s a drastic change between living in Anchorage and Phoenix. We did the working/commuting gig for over 14 years, with the job being in Indianapolis while home was in S.C. The difference was that the job changed locations and home stayed put. There are positives and negatives to that sort of thing.

I really like that you replaced the oak with useful trees that you enjoy. Here’s wishing you many fruitful years of bounteous harvests!

Welcome Jim. Hope you enjoy your new home. Bill