Introducing myself to Scott's forum

Very best. Then Michael Jordan I have to add and you would too, Drew!

I’ll never, ever, forget watching Spud Webb taking the title of the dunk competition, either.

Dax

Yes, but don’t forget The Bad Boys in between. Back to back championships. We had to battle Boston and LA to become the best, then we were eventually overtaken by Chicago, although we beat Jordon & Co. many times before his team become good enough to take the Pistons. That was a great time for me. i doubt I will ever see the Pistons take another championship in my lifetime.

1 Like

Never. Those were the best of days of NBA basketball. I can still vividly see those games of “war!”

Dax

If you weren’t rooting for them to begin with, those Pistons were easy to hate. Basketball is not supposed to be a contact sport. Don’t blame you though, I used to root for the Ewing led Knicks sometime later. Ugly ball all the way.

If the NBA wanted to support dynasties, officiating would have called fouls the same way in the playoffs they do during the season. The Lakers would likely have won every season during the Kareem-Magic years instead of dividing championships with the hacking Celtics.

Nah… that’s why I love the playoffs. It is WAR.

:grinning: Dax

Bird and Magic hated each other then they did a commercial together. Got to know one another and became friends and still are. I lived in Lansing 11 years and magic put on an all-star game there at his High School every year. Lot’s of big names came to play. it was very cool. A great documentary is out there about the Magic-Bird years. Very informative and the highlights of those years, Amazing footage. When i was at MSU I saw Magic all the time as his girlfriend Cookie lived on the same floor in the dorms as my girlfriend. So I often saw him there. He was very friendly, and we talked all the time. What a party when MSU won the NCAA wow I had fun that night! I was a Junior that year. Kirk Gibson was also there at that time but I never met him.

Yeah when I went to MSU it was the first time I ever saw anybody who was 7 foot tall! OMG! The guy next to me in the dorm was Ron Charles at 7’1" I first met Magic when he invited me to a party. Anyway this guy had to bend down for every door entry! My neck would get sore talking to him! He was always in my room borrowing something or another. I wonder what ever happened to him? He never played professional. Or not for long anyway.

I just googled him, he played pro in Italy! I guess I was wrong how tall he was too! My bad!

Close enough. Nice story.

There is also a documentary out there about the Byrd-Magic relationship- how M.Johnson drew the shy Bird out of his shell and they became best friends after retiring from the game. A very sweet little movie about two very nice men, one an extrovert the other intro.

Indeed I remember the commercial and controversy involved. And… I’ve watched all the documentaries, as-well.

So cool Drew you got to chat with Magic. Those are memories to be forever treasured.

Dax

I was not really a basketball fan before Magic. I sucked at playing. I was a baseball and football player. After meeting many of the players in my dorm, i became a fan, plus NCAA fever was in the air and It was contagious!
I miss the Lansing area. it was more rural around Lansing, 5 minutes drive and you’re out in the corn fields. Life was at a slower pace. I lived there 11 years. I had no plans to move, had a house built where I helped in construction. It was a custom made house. Then my mom died and I was worried about my dad, all alone, almost deaf from canon fire defending Bataan in WWII. He would not hear the phone ring. He was not cleaning out my mom’s stuff. I was worried he would soon pass himself. He would not move to Lansing, so we moved in with him in my childhood house with my 2 kids, located in Sterling Heights, a suburb of Detroit (8 miles from 8 mile). He now had something to do. We worked full time and he took the kids to karate, soccer, dance etc. He once again had a purpose in life and lived 15 more years passing in 2003 at 86 years of age. My mom was 61 when she passed. Way too early! She had a hard life, a self made woman who owned he own business. Unheard of in the 50’s! Now I’m still in this house the kid’s are grown and gone. Time to move again.

1 Like

I hope to zone 7b! If I were to move I’d stay in IL but go south.

Dax

That would be nice, but most likely a little north about 50 miles. I would like to live around Marine City. the Great Lakes are in my blood. I have a cottage on the St Clair River and I would like to move closer to it. The island my cottage is on has a tight nit community. We are all friends, and have many activities together. Like the annual float down.

Wow, that water is crystal blue.

I’ve floated the Rock River here many times in my youth. We could hop off our innertubes in the middle of the river and walk on the sandbar. Albeit the water is murky and nothing like Lake Michigan.

Dax

Much from the invasive zebra muscles cleaning all algae out! This is the south channel of the St Clair River. The river at times has three channels, north, south, and middle. The freighters pass though this south channel, depth is around 35 feet.
Where the floats are it is about 20 to 25 feet deep. Why it is blue, it’s deep!
We swim at the beach dock and sit back and watch the view! I mean the freighters! :blush:

Hello folks.

I’m a hobby gardener (more or less), I don’t have much in the way of fruit trees as I live on a 55 x 110 city lot! However, it doesn’t stop me from trying the odd thing here and there. I have 4 or so paw paws in my yard as well as a white (ish) mulberry. My main gardening interest is Carnivorous Plants and have been growing pitcher plants and flytrap for 40 year (man that makes me sound old…) but I started when I was 8-9 :smile:

The reason I joined the forum here is hopefully to make connections in the persimmon world. I just planted a grafted “Gordon” cultivar that I got from Grimo Nut Nuseries, in Niagara on the Lake, Ontario (I’m in Niagara Falls, ON BTW). As don’t have much room it is my hope to gain the know-how and advice from some of you pro’s on the do’s and don’ts of grafting and advice on good cultivars to put on my tree. For now… i’m in the research stage as my tree won’t be ready for grafting for a year… but its alway nice to find a community of like minded people.

So… hello all.

2 Likes

Welcome aboard!

Welcome Carl. There are several persimmon enthusiast on here.

Carl,

Welcome and happy to see you’ve found and joined us.

I just know that you’ll find all the help you need given freely right here.

Mike

Welcome, Carl. Both fly traps and pitcher plants, along with about 20 other carnivorous plants, are native to my state. Pitcher Plants, Fly Traps, Sundews, Bladderworts, and Butterworts grow wild here, although much of their habitat has been lost to development. I live well inland from the bog lands where they are happy, though.

There certainly are some persimmon enthusiasts here. I’m glad you found us.

1 Like

So I gather you live NC… I’ve done many trips there over the years to photograph these plants… I just recently (a couple of summer’s ago) visited the NC mountains to see S. jonesii and S. oreophila. The latter only occurs in ONE location in the state! talk about rare.

Thanks for the note!

Hopefully over the winter months… I meet a few of them here! Thanks for the hello