Iowa Heritage Apples and Pears

Phil (@Chikn) - I am looking into the Iowa State releases of apples and pears. I would be interested in growing a few of them on franken trees. Though I am quickly running out of space for new varieties on 3 year old trees.

The first info we have is: Bartlett pears

The list of apples is: (Some of these were noted as having deficiencies in the publication below.)

Chieftain (widely distributed)
Secor (ARS GRIN)
Sharon (grown by Deal’s Orchard, Jefferson, IA - source: Orange Pippin)
Monona
Hawkeye Greening
Ames
Edgewood
Macy
Afton
Maud
Adel
Earlham

Pears:
Patten (in Grandpa’s Orchard old catalog)
Beirschmidtt

This document adds to the info we have on these apples and pears and adds a couple varieties of apples to the list:

Of these apple varieties ARS GRIN has:
Secor
Maud(e) - but it is debatable whether this is the Iowa apple or not. On its side is that it was donated to the repository by U of MN, but the harvest season on GRIN vs. the above references are very far off summer apple vs. 10 days before Delicious.

I found these apples at St. Lawrence Nursery: Secor, and Sharon and also found the pears at Grandpa’s.
I’ve also ran out of space for new trees although I’ve got many trees begging to become franken trees. I know Jerry Deal well, Graduated from ISU with him. Nice work on finding all this great info. If possible, I plan on getting Secor and Sharon, you’ll certainly be welcome to scion wood when they are big enough.

1 Like

Apparently, the Hawkeye apple (the original Red Delicious) was discovered in Iowa, but you probably already knew that.

I grow 5 or 6 Beirschmidtt but the trees are on ohxf333 and very small.

1 Like

I wonder if Seed Saver’s Exchange in Decorah has any of the other Iowa apples? They have a 900+ variety orchard there.

Though I’m not entirely sure what their idea is with that orchard. They are trying to preserve things, but I haven’t seen offers to sell scion wood in the catalog. They sell grafted varieties for a premium.

You can get scion from Seed Savers Exchange, but I think only if you’ve paid for a membership.

1 Like

Came across another one: A Patten introduction (same Patten that the pear is named for) - Iowa Beauty - Season = Early “A high quality culinary/dessert apple. Very juicy with a sweet tang; the core becomes pink sugar when overripe.” http://www.applejournal.com/useall06.htm

I’m going to get bigger Frankentrees.:slight_smile:

I keep finding more info:
Here is a 1970 review of apples grown in Iowa which turns up more C.G. Patten and other varieties.

http://ir.uiowa.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=11240&context=annals-of-iowa

An obituary for Charles G. Patten. Wisconsin Horticulture: Official Organ of the Wisconsin State Horticultural ... - Google Books

I got scion wood from Jerry yesterday for Sharon from a single, broke down, 80yr. tree. Only one he has left. PM me with you address if you’d like some budwood.

If your interested here is a description of Sharon https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/accessiondetail.aspx?1014660

Whoa. The apple in their photo has watercore.

Did it have fruit? It is close to its season per that ARS/GRIN link that Clark posted.

I will take budwood. It is a little late, but no harm in trying to bud it.

PM sent.

Jerry said it was really early and too sweet for his tastes. No fruit.
I also picked up an apple he called Pippen. Early, green with faint pink stripes, large, sweet with only a bit of acid. I could only eat about 1/3 of it. He also gave me an apple he call Chenago. Yellow with red blush, med/small, very reminiscent of Fuji. Nice sweet apple, juicy, elongated like Kindal sinap.

1 Like

I was checking today and all the buds I had done with the wood I got from Jerry had dried up and fallen out. I’ll get more from him in early spring.

Phil - That is a bummer. So we both had bad luck on Sharon. If you cut some, I’d take a scion with the Chieftain you were offering to spread the good word on. :smiley:

I can’t remember if we have traded, or if there is anything I have you would want. My list is in my info card/bio.

No problem, I have been getting down 80 weekly now but those things can change. We can work a deal on Dabinett and Suncrisp. PM me late Feb./early March and we can set something up.

1 Like

Sounds good! Fair warning on the Dabinett though: the scion won’t be big, if I can find one to prune out. It has been an extremely slow grower for me. I’m debating on what exactly to do with it. Graft it to a more vigorous stock or move on. I think it needs to be on B.118 in my yard.