Is Texas Persimmon (Diospyros Texana) worth growing?

Yeah I was wondering about that, it has light wood and yours looked just like Virginiana

1 Like

I am really interested in growing them, and you would think that you could find them at the nurseries here in Texas, but no dice. I got some seeds off of Etsy, but they never germinated. Surprise surprise.

I need a source for a few Texas persimmon seedlings and a few rusty Blackhaw viburnum seedlings. They are both edible natives. While Iā€™ve never had the pleasure of sampling the Texas persimmon, the rusty Blackhaw viburnum makes a small interesting drupe.

When I first was trying to find them myself, there was one Texas nursery that had small seedling plugs for a reasonable price, but would only deliver in-state. Iā€™m having trouble finding it again. I do see this one, youā€™d have to put in your zip code on the top to see if theyā€™d deliver to you (they are in Ft. Worth):

$50 for a 5 gal tree isnā€™t exactly cheap though.

Try https://womacknursery.com/ if they donā€™t have Texana Iā€™d bet they can yell you who does. D

Thank you for the find. Thatā€™s especially crazy because Iā€™m not very far from Fort Worth. I traveled to Colorado bend state park recently and picked up a bunch of seeds there. The Texas persimmons were ripe and it was my first time trying them. They have a ton of seed to them, but they were very flavorful. I would say that they taste like plum with a slight molasses flavor. If someone wants some fresh seed, and would be willing to pay shipping, then I would be happy to oblige.

I traveled to Colorado bend state park recently and picked up a bunch of seeds there. The Texas persimmons were ripe and it was my first time trying them. They have a ton of seed to them, but they were very flavorful. I would say that they taste like plum with a slight molasses flavor. If someone wants some fresh seed, and would be willing to pay shipping, then I would be happy to oblige.

2 Likes

I find itā€™s kind of ironic the interest in this plant. I work at a extension office, and we routinely get calls on how to eliminate themā€¦
I think itā€™s a shame because they are a beautiful small tree. I love the bark especially. But some of the residents abhor the sight of brush in their pasture and this plant isnā€™t as choice an eating selection to deer or livestock as other native plants.
But we also get requests on how to kill algerita which is another native fruit producing plant. No one has asked how to kill our wild plum yet, that I know about.

3 Likes