Is this a deer munching on my apple trees?

Came back from vacation to find someone munching on my 3 year apple trees. Have not had deer problems up until until now but looks like they found my orchard. The tree branches were about 4’ high, I’m thinking it’s got to be deer since lower part of the trees were not touched but want to confirm, thanks, Chris

That seems the likely culprit to me. I had a deer do this to my Fuji this spring. I found deer hoof prints in the soft mulch and dirt around the tree. I have the Fuji grafted onto seedling rootstock and the rootstock had sent up a couple of suckers, the deer only ate the leaves off of the Fuji and didn’t eat a single leaf off of the suckers right beside it.

Yup, looks like mine back in September.

Deer…for sure.

Just seeing this makes me sick… Not because its your tree but because of my 15-20 trees the deer just ripped apart this last summer. Brings back bad memories… But I do feel sorry for you. And yes, that looks just like deer damage.

I put a cage around my Fuji tonight that should stop Deer or rabbits for the winter

Just in case somebody isn’t aware. Rabbits can squeeze through very small holes. 2" isn’t small enough.

As to the original post, at least it is Fall, not all the leaves were eaten, and the wood is unharmed. The trees should be fine if they are protected from further predation.

Thanks for the replies, my winter project will be figuring out the best fence to keep deer and squirrels out of the orchard, sounds like a good topic for a new thread.

Need a recipe that calls for apple, squirrel and venison.

Chris

If it is any consolation, that doesn’t look too bad. I just went out this morning and found one of peach trees scraped to hell all around the trunk. I’ll post a pic of the worst side of the trunk for you to see.

btw
Happy Thanksgiving
Lance

Just how 10 trees looked this past spring. Ugh. Makes my stomach ache. I used spray, sealant, and they healed. I was lucky. Stonger fencing around each tree this year. Makes me cry.

I imagine you maybe aware but the deer did not eat that bark. That is a rub where a buck was rakeing his antlers to get ready for breeding season. They are also a sign post for other deer. Often they are reused every fall.

1 Like

Chris, you should get some perforated 4" drain pipe around that. Only costs a few dollars per tree and it’s not even unsightly. It will also protect against the “chewers”.