It's Finally Raining in California!

Sunset in the High Desert.

1 Like

The NWS reported that December has been the wettest month for Los Angeles in the last six years. Since Dec. 1, the area has seen 4.08 inches of rain, which is a 265 percent increase from normal conditions. The average rainfall is about 1.64 inches of rain during the month.

3 Likes

True. I forgot to mention in Los Angeles.

1 Like

2 Likes

Locally, our total for the week was 2 2/3 inches and for the month has been 3 1/4 inch. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fantastic to see you guys getting that much precipitation. Let it rain!

3 Likes

When I lived in Topanga Canyon, in truly wet years we could get 50 inches- sometimes 10 in a single night, which was too much of a good thing, of course. In that coastal canyon we averaged quite a bit more rain than LA- (23 to their 15, as I recall) a fact I was always proud of for some reason- maybe I just loved the relative greenness of the place.

I hope the rest of your season remains moist and all your reservoirs and aquifers are replenished. Then you can think of other things to worry about.

1 Like

Yes, good news! I was looking at our rainfall in MI and we get in my area about 30 inches a year. In NYC they get 46 inches with 121 days where it is raining where as we have an average of 133 days, yet less rain, a lot less!
http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/new-york/united-states/3202

The weather is interesting, hope it keeps raining wherever needed. I read some good articles about the California weather history. In the long term it seems drought is quite normal.

2 Likes

Weather forecast for California.

Looks like the month of January will be wetter and colder than average, according to the weather models. It will be even colder than December. One of the models is predicting a train of storms starting December 30th.

1 Like

Bring the Chill and the Rain! It’s long overdue…

2 Likes

More free water on its way :slight_smile:

4 Likes

SO nice to have the sprinklers off. We’ve gotten about .25" today, so pretty happy with that. And forecasted to rain tomorrow, and again on Wednesday, and the following weekend. I find it a little amusing that we have had more rain in a “La Nina” year, than we had last year, which was supposed to be an epic El Nino year. Goes to show that there are a lot more variables at work with regard to local rainfall than simply La Nina/El Nino.

1 Like

So far this rainfall year (Sept.1-Aug.31) here in Vista CA, we’ve had just over 5 inches (2016-2017), which puts us in a tie with last year (2015-2016). So happy to have half our predicted annual rainfall occur in the first half of our rainy season. :slight_smile:

Not just rain, we are not seeing the mild temperatures of the last few years too. January looks set to deliver 20 Utah chill hours every day in my locale!

1 Like

OMG! That is absolutely fantastic!! That’s a lot of rain for us. My gosh. And it appears (crossing all fingers and toes), we are getting more rain over the next few weeks.

@bleedingdirt, it’s curious that by this time last year you only had 2.5", while to date this year you’ve had about 4". Much drier than I would expect for your locale.

We are getting rain shadowed by the Santa Cruz mountains to our south where these warm storms come from. A classic cold arctic set up like the next few ones should bring some parity. So far Santa Cruz mountains have gotten 5-10 times our rain!

1 Like

So basically, several of the annual storms coming out of the Bay of Alaska have been going inland to the north and south of you for the last decade or so?

I guess all’s fair in love and weather exaggerations. :slight_smile:
Actually readings in the Santa Cruz mountains show that since 9/1/2016 they’ve been getting double your rainfall.

15 inches vs 60 inches this water year…

Oh I see! That section of the Santa Cruz mountains is east of you, effectively shadowing a portion of any Pacific-born storm from the north or south. The area has had on average 10 inches per square mile since Sept. 1 2016, compared with your 4".