It's Finally Raining in California!

Check out this CA DWR publication:
Will La Niña Make a Difference?

That’s awesome. Here’s the mostly up-to-date snow and reservoir levels in the state:

1 Like

Thanks, Richard. That’s exactly why this is confusing to me. Except that I guess per the publication, I’ll just hang onto the first paragraph, lol! Because the rest of it states that, “… ENSO’s strongest signal in California is for Southern California to be drier than average in La Niña years.” But then, in the next breath, they say, “…California’s large
year-to-year variability and the importance of a few individual large storms prevent using ENSO alone to predict seasonal precipitation outcomes for California.”

I had to laugh a bit after reading this, I’m telling you. No wonder there are so many “bad weatherman” jokes out there.

In any event, I’m absolutely tickled to pieces that we’ve had so much beautiful, lovely, fantastic, gentle rain storms so early in our rainy season. We have rain, again, coming in tomorrow in the wee hours, and more rain predicted for Wednesday/Thursday, and again, I think, next Saturday. Hoowee. Great for us, but our N. California neighbors are about ready to start building an ark, I fear! :sweat_drops::snowflake::umbrella::cloud_tornado::spider_web:

2 Likes

Well, local flooding of streets - yes. Looking at the chart of reservoir conditions, I’d say there is plenty of capacity for the rainwater from this storm.

Yes, a lot of local street (and home) flooding. But, yes, fill up those reservoirs up to the tippy top, please.

This may be the first year in a bit where water restrictions will be lifted. Check out our weekly summary, keep in mind we average 14" - 15" or rain per year. Another mind blowing stat. San Fransisco has had more rain in the first 8 days of January then the entire year of 2013.

Unfortunately, rain in San Francisco has little bearing on the water supply in The City. It will be accumulation in reservoirs by district that relieve restrictions.

1 Like

Hey, we got a 1/4 inch! Yippee!! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Looking forward to another 1/4" or more today :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yer tag says that you’re in Vista, and so does @hoosierquilt’s. Are y’all neighbors, or maybe visited each other’s place? I’m sure Vista is a big place, but I just noticed that and was wondering.

2 Likes

At work…little bit of road flooding in a matter of 3 minutes!

3 Likes

We live across the valley from each other, about 5 aerial miles. I’m a relatively new member, so Patty won’t make her first trip here until this Spring :slight_smile:

Yup, Richard and I are in the same city. And no, we haven’t visited each other’s yards, yet. But no doubt, we will eventually!

Patty S.

I’ve been to Cali a few times, about 20 years ago, I flew to Sacramento a couple times, and rented a car and drove around NoCal, took in some of the sights. Have been on Highway 1 from the Oregon border all the way down to Morro Bay, what an awesome drive, especially the Big Sur coast and the Mendocino area. Also visited the Redwoods and Yosemite Natl parks, simply astounding. Walked across the GG bridge, that was cool, saw the Point Reyes area, very nice.

I was really into landscape photography back then, so me and my camera got quite a workout! I actually have a couple of pics from one trip that I enlarged, matted and framed hanging on our living room wall.

When my sister lived in La Jolla for a year, I went out to visit her, that’s a pretty area as well. Lots to see in California, that’s for sure.

2 Likes

You nailed all the big ones (not sure if you saw Avenue of the giants in Mendocino). For scenic drives and National Parks few places in THE COUNTRY top NorCal. Insanely crazy expensive to live here, but mans she’s stunning!

1 Like

Even the Oakland area has some Redwoods.When visiting a friend there,I found some information and took a drive to the place.My old GPS led me along the scenic route through the city and then to the remote location in the hills.
It was late afternoon when finally arriving, so I decided not to hike around,but did see a few of the trees. Brady

Yeah, those were the highlights of two trips, but there were some other nice places, like the Monterey peninsula, Mt Tam state park, Lake Tahoe, Mt Lassen and Shasta, Crescent City, and so on.

One interesting part was when I was in Petaluma, where it was about 80° and hot, and then went to Pt Reyes lighthouse, where it was about 50° with the wind howling off the water, very raw conditions. Quite a contrast in a short distance.

Driving down Highway 1 southbound in the North is quite breakthtaking, and a bit scary, as there’s a big drop off in some places. Gotta pay attention on that road! Big Sur is the same way, but I was going north on the road, so the cliffs were on the other side, but it was still quite a drive. I can only imagine how treacherous it was to build that road on the side of those cliffs. Didn’t they use convicts to build that road?

Yes, quite beautiful, but a bit too expensive to live there for me…

2 Likes

You really have hit them all lol

… and the lands are unstable. The 60 mile section between Point Piedras Blancas and Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park nearly always has a mile or two under construction.

There are beautiful, scenic homes with or without acreage available along the 700+ miles of coastal route 1/101 in California at prices that would be considered inexpensive across the U.S. However, they are remote and have zero nearby stores or services.

1 Like

So true!
Here in the Bay Area you pay a $1,000,000 for a dump in many areas (and getting worse). However, I looked at open houses in Palm Springs (too hot for me, but still scenic). And I was shocked how far 200K will go.

A few months ago I looked (in person) at a $60k place up a 1000 ft. dirt driveway from route 1 on the Central coast.

1 Like