Jujube

My Jin/Chang tree is large and at least 20 years old. It’s a heavy producer. The fruit at its best is just “OK”.

3 Likes

that is something am not aware of. I thought huping was a different cultivar. I’ve dried the cultivar chang and the dates were not bad, but not the best either. Incidentally, and generally speaking, with anglicized names having ‘zao’ at the end, the zao should be disregarded since it is equivalent to the common name ‘jujube’, so the actual name of hupingzao is “huping” And dongzao would be ‘dong’, etc

unfortunately, fang yuan #1 is something am also naive to

hands down the more credible assessment, considering two decades’ worth of sampling.

so there’s three of us here who give chang no more than 3 out of 5 stars. @Castanea, @k8tpayaso , and me

3 Likes

I was wondering what the best way to tell if a jujube has made it through the winter is and i was also wondering when tonys jujubes wake up? as i feel im the arid version of your climate and hope you are safe from the floods. Usually i go by look and feel to tell if a tree has made it through the winter and if that fails a bark test, However my young Massandra Jujube has always had a very white trunk and is a really small plant so i don’t want to bark test it, it appears alive and still is bendable but I don’t want to miss the window on getting a replacement if i need one. It doesn’t even really appear to have tip damage which is strange to me but this is also my first jujube and its first winter.

The only time when my first year inground jujube tree didn’t make it because the temp got down to -22F about 9 years ago without any snow on the ground to insulate it. The barks splited open and dried out the tree. The rootstock resprouted in June of that year and I topworked it to a Sugarcane the following year. I think your tree will be fine and just give it time to wake up. If the barks are intact and the branches are flexible then no need to worry at this point.

Tony

3 Likes

Excellent news! Its first year it woke up in June so thats what i am thinking or just a bit earlier. Thanks Tony

1 Like

some jujubes wake up in june in vegas, even though the majority start leafing out late feb.

Interesting june is a pretty harsh month in vegas, what varieties stay asleep until june? I have Massandra and Shanxi Li and am getting a Autumn beauty this year. All of the Jujubes i have tried in the asian food stores have been pretty mediocre but all you guys have great taste in fruit and by your descriptions im sure i will love them and with tonys success in growing them in my zone as well as your success in the hot and dry which my similars are much milder than yours I decided to try them so thank you.

1 Like

sugarcane, sihong, honey jar, and li sometimes do that, not sure why. Contorted and autumn beaity are often the earliest to wake up. Strangely, contorted and autumn beauty seem to wake up earlier than the li interstem or the wild-type rootstock.

1 Like

I sure hope autumn beauty stays asleep until atleast may here. I feel i read somewhere that it did decent in cold winters and hot and dry summers but i value anything that will stay asleep through an early warm up. Its crazy it would wake up before its interstem. I thought about getting li and honey jar when i was ordering but im pretty much out of space however willing to replace an apple or two. I have very much enjoyed watching your jujube breeding projects and would love to get one of your cold hardy ones down the road.

i see you’re in denver. Juju stems will usually be safe from die-back if they leaf out late in areas with incredibly late frosts. The only trade-off is that if they leaf out really late and you have an early winter, they won’t bear much fruits, and the fruits that they produce might not have enough time to ripen.
honey jar, contorted, and sugarcane ripen relatively quickly so more likely to reach maturity in your area

1 Like

Thanks for the advice, I will try to swap my order to honey jar or one of the other three. I felt i needed to get something that riped by september we still have good heat in september and if we compare it to apples we the september apples ripen perfectly alot of times the october ones don’t seem too.

good luck and keep every body posted here. Your findings will be valuable reference for out-of-zoners or borderline-zoners.

1 Like

Will do i think they will be an excellent companion for the bees here as well we need a tree to bloom between the lindens and the kentucky coffee bean trees.

1 Like

Definitely the Honey Jar is a good choice for a sweet good tasting and early harvest in Z5.

Tony

2 Likes

England’s offering 20% off on what they have left…Li, Lang, Contorted, and Sugar Cane.

1 Like

I definitely will Jujube and i am very much looking forward to eating some jujubes in the distant future and love the way all of you guys share your knowledge. Tony you really make honey jar sound amazing im all in.

With jujube, you can say in the near future. A Jujube tree can set fruit the same year it is planted. Amazing, isn’t it?

That really is amazing, mine flowered its first year but i never saw any fruit and wasn’t expecting any for a few years. Another plus for me is the japanese beetles never seemed to touch it.

1 Like

The recent rains and warmer temperatures have made all of our trees happy and it has the jujubes moving. The Li purchased from Ison’s in February is really taking off and my tigertooth from Edible Landscaping I planted last fall has finally woken up. I was getting a little worried about that one. I also have a TT sucker in a pot that has been growing vigorously since February.

Li

Tigertooth

6 Likes

Does anyone know what type of Jujube the Farmer Brand is…and has anyone tried regrowing them from their seeds?

These are the most luscious dates you’ll ever taste! They are exceptionally large and soft, with strong caramel notes. Serve them whole for a dessert that will impress your guests, or combine them with other fruits and nuts on a platter.

I would agree with this description, BTW. I’d say these are the best jujubes of the several (medium-priced ones) I’ve tried from the store…

1 Like