Krazulya Pear

@VicJ

Excellent it sounds like your getting close to success. If you fence out the moose you could have a pear orchard very soon. Once you do everyone will start growing them for food there! I believe even the most challenging problems have answers. I would love to see you posting pears you canned, dried and fresh bushel baskets of pears to eat over winter!

1 Like

I have other Krazulyas grafted up inside the moose fence (and Krasnobokaya and Taltsa too, plus some others), but the first to fruit is grafted to a 30 year old Ussurian pear tree in the front yard (just not high enough!). The others are coming along, though, so eventually should have more to compare. Beedle is supposed to be pretty good, and I have a Golden Spice that’s avoided any winter damage for six or seven years at least. Only other one besides the Ussurian that’s fruited is Philip, which isn’t really edible.

3 Likes

I don’t know why it was transliterated as “krazulya”, because in russian it is pronounced (and spelled) as “krasulya”. There’s no “z” what so ever.

5 Likes

In English the z and the s sound the same. We can’t discern the difference. Like at Lowe’s one time I was looking for ‘chip’ brushes, and the attendant insisted on showing me the ‘cheap’ brushes. He couldn’t discern the difference.

2 Likes

Spelled as “krassulya” would be the closest to how it’s pronounced in Russian.

4 Likes

Красуля (krasulya)

3 Likes

I know how it’s spelled in Russian. The problem is that in English an “s” between two vowels is pronounced as “z”.

2 Likes

I’m not gonna argue mate, I’m just wondering how you ordinary people in US pronounce “krazulya”?

2 Likes

krazulya and krasulya are pronounced the same: кразуля. I personally would call it красуля, but there’s nothing ordinary about me. :wink:

2 Likes

Hi How do you like Vavilov?
The curator of the USDA Germplasm bank said it was one of his favorites.
Thanks,
Frank

2 Likes

Vavilov did not survive it’s second winter here.

2 Likes

Did the Russian pears work out for anyone i know it’s been 7 years since this topic was started.

2 Likes

As previously reported, there were no blossoms last year, but this year there was a single pear, overlooked until near the end of the season. I picked last week, and after letting it mellow a few days, subjected it to the palate. It was excellent–better than I remembered last time (which was quite good). I also got a handful of Beedle, a Canadian cultivar, which weren’t nearly as tasty. Krasnobokaya bloomed, but nothing set. Maybe next year. I’m hopeful that soon I’ll start getting some decent crops from Krazulya. They’re really pretty, too, and hardy in Fairbanks, Alaska.

9 Likes

@VicJ

This might lead to pear orchards in Alaska. Is scionwood readily available at this point?

1 Like

I might be able to spare a stick; PM me.

3 Likes

@VicJ

Thank you for your kind offer.

1 Like

Not yet, but various sources have Ure and Early Gold, I’m not sure if Krazulya is better or not.

Burnt Ridge has Ure scions for $5 if you want to graft.

2 Likes

I would recommend fragrant pears from China too, they can be hardy to zone 3!

And unfortunately I don’t know even where to buy these fruits, but Nanguo pears are the world’s best, and normally grown in a zone 4 in China(the uncontested world leader in pear production):

5 Likes

Does anyone have experiences with pears bursting late in the season, first a crack, that sometimes develops into cat facing all over. I have a 25 year old Ure that does this every year. I wonder if it is a reaction to our long days north of 60 degrees in Yukon. The fruit seems to start splitting when nights return in August. The fruit will still develop and ripen but the the affected ones (25%) can be badly disfigured. None of my other pears do this, even when grafted as a branch on the same Ure tree.

3 Likes

@KVN

Some pears sre more given to doing that than others. I’m not growing ure.

1 Like