Late chip bud grafting in figs - looking good

Thanks to a dear friend i received a few cuttings of 4 new Portuguese varieties in the beginning of October.

Although it’s quite late in the season i decided to graft them using the chip technique that has had good results last year. I generally use it during August and September. I never did in October.

Despite the dropping temperatures at night the days are still warm enough and i thought that it would take about 15 days to 3 weeks for the chips to fuse with the grafted branches in these conditions. Afterwards they should be dormant during the winter. With luck they should awake in the spring.

Here’s some photos of how they are 15 days after grafting. When these green cuttings have pecíoles i tend to leave them and cover the whole thing with parafilm and protect the graft with aluminum foil. When checking after 15 days, if the pecíole falls when touched the chip has taken.
I remove the pecíole and cover the bud with parafilm again.

If all is well and they don’t get fungus in the winter (sometimes they do when there is too much moisture inside the parafilm) the buds should stay dormant and break in the spring.

In the 3 varieties that were not that green, i didn’t use all the cutting, only the bottom buds of each. I buried the remaining of each cutting just in case they might root.

The photo album is here:
http://s1024.photobucket.com/user/bassbbtjs/library/Enxertos%20tardios%20Figueiras%20-%208%20Outubro%202016?sort=9&page=1

5 Likes