Melon Watch

A bunch of this slightly mysterious ( to me at least) melon are turning color now. Lots of production on only a few seeds.

1 Like

No definitely not Charentais. Pretty melon though.

Mystery melon. It tastes OK… Basically like a ripe cantaloupe.

Maybe I’ll try the legit Charentais next year.

If I can find a few of the best tasting musk /cantaloupe style ones I’ll give them a go

2 Likes

I have purchased may different variety of Charentais melons over the years, they are very fragrant when the ripe. In fact they could ripe overnight and then crack open immediately.

1 Like

I’ve got 8 ripening right now. Just picked 3, 2 of which had started to split. I could smell them before I even bent down to check them.

Larger one is 6 inches diameter, the smallest 4".

2lb 13oz to 14 oz for the small one.

3 Likes

I agree with @mrsg47, they don’t look like the Charentais type, hey but at least you get to eat melons, I have zero, lol.

1 Like

Indeed.

I’m the idiot for not paying attention to what I planted where.

The only oddity is I don’t have a seed package with a melon that looks like the ripe ones I’m picking!

And yes, at least I have them to eating and share with neighbors.

Hmmmm. May need to gets some prosciutto or Parma ham for the next one… Change it up some.

2 Likes

Sometime seed companies send you the wrong one too. I have that happened to me too many times.

1 Like

Melons are promiscuous. That may be a self-hybrid.

1 Like

It would have to be a different seed from the online company since I don’t plant my own harvested seeds.

It’s not a bad little melon… I just wish I didn’t have 8 of them ripening within a day or so of each other.

2 Likes

I have one tiny Hales Best Jumbo, this variety is resistant to mildew.

1 Like

So I was told by a restaurant owner that the fully golden yellow melon I’ve been posting photos of were picked over ripe. Perhaps this really is a Charentais that I simple didn’t know when to pick?

Had another melon pop up for me. I have a package for Golden Midget.

This one seems to be that?

I used to grow a lot of melons, in fact I always look forward to the growing season because it’s one of few fruit I get. However since joining growingfruit, I now have other fruit to eat, hence my dependence on growing melons is lessened.
Here are my pictures of Charentais, I grew them up, not on the ground.

2 Likes

Very nice. I’d say definitely a different merlon than mine. Yours has a silvery shade to it.

Nice.

1 Like