Mid Year Varmint Report

It really does taste just like chicken when fried. :smile:

1 Like

Yes I’ve had it on a couple different occasions and remember liking it. Been a while though.

Sent another bunny hopping down the eternal bunny trail last night. I have read that you should not consume wild rabbits until after a couple of hard freezes in the fall. I believe they carry a parasite that can be transmitted to humans? Rabbit does taste good, so I guess you could refrain from population control until fall.

Really? What would a hard freeze have to do with a rabbit parasite. Rabbits are mammals and their body temp is regulated like humans.

Rabbits may have Rabbit Fever, a bactiral inffection spread by insects. Infected rabbits die off and are safe to eat by mid winter.

Checkbout my new airgun. I have taken out 6 rabbits with it so far.

5 Likes

You won’t feel so guilty, when it comes back this winter and eats the
bark off your trees.

Wild rabbits can carry a disease called Tularemia. I would never
eat a wild rabbit, unless I was on “Naked and Afraid.”

3 Likes

Watch out for the briar patch.

2 Likes

I read some about that. Sounds like it’s pretty easy to spot a rabbit that has this infection. Also says it’s safe to eat the meat if cooked to 160F. Still probably not worth it though.

@39thparallel

What make and model is this?

I have the Marauder .25 cal. but I only get 10 shots before having to refill the reservoir. Is that an air resevoir around the barrel?

Mike

It’s an Airforce Condor. The bull barrel is the suppresor. The buttstock is the large air tank. I have a .22 but they also make .177, .25, .308, .357, and .44

4 Likes

@39thparallel

Mike,

How many shots do you get per air tank?

My only complaint about the Marauder is that after 10-12 shots there is a noticeable drop off.

Mike

I kind of depends. The power is adjustable. It will give 25-30 long range hunting shots before the power drops or 100 short range / low power shots.

The first 10 seconds of this video shows one of many attempts on the blackberry patch. I think he is too big for the tube trap but I’m gonna set it out tonight, maybe peanut butter will draw him in? I think he visits every night.

4 Likes

What scared it away?

There is 2’ high bunny wire topped with bird netting. I think he slipped on the netting and thought he was caught and that startled him away.

1 Like

Unlikely that an apparently healthy rabbit or squirrel will be infected with tularemia. Yes, they can get it, but they are SICK! when they get it.
Parasite? You might find a Cuterebra (warble) larva under the skin… but no one’s gonna eat that, and it poses no danger to humans. No reason not to eat them.

I’m on the stalk for a big groundhog living under the tackroom in my barn. And, I’m gonna parboil & smoke that rascal… and use it as part of the ingredients for a big pot of Brunswick Stew.

1 Like

What camera are you using for this video? I’m looking to get one to better know what eating my fruit at night.

from the watermark, some kind of Bushnell camera

Although my Crossman is only a single shot, it’s very easy to reload,
and most importantly, it never loses power.