My "Romance series" cherries

Don, thanks for posting your pictures an opinions of these cherries. Considering how long they have been available, still cant find a lot of good info on them, thats not biased, from UofS or distributors. I just put in 2 juliet last year, glad to hear you like them…

Have you ordered these plants from Gurneys personally? I tried to call them today (haven’t succeeded in getting anyone yet) and then tried the chat feature on their website, on which the person (I assume, maybe it was a bot!) could only tell me the size is “bareroot” and nothing about the height. I have a few other things I could get from Gurneys, and a discount code, but I don’t want to get the plants if they’ll be smaller than the stated sizes on Honeyberry Usa.

I’ve ordered from Gurneys and they were around 4" tall liners. Unless they are selling something different now I would expect them to be very small but healthy plants.

That’s been my experience in the past. I had gotten Carmine Jewel several years ago but back then they stated they were “potted plants”. Unfortunately those plants died from my neglect when I tried to transplant them last year from their original spot to my new home.

1 Like

I would expect the same unless they specify different. Hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised. Those small plants can be a son of a gun to get going so it likely was not as much neglect as it was those small plants are high maintenance.

Looks like they only have the bareroot now, so I would guess about 2’. At $40, I wouldn’t even consider without a 50% off coupon.

I have a coupon and like their seed starting mix from past experience, but I don’t want to be surprised with a tiny plant…

I’ve purchased several Carmine Jewels from Gurneys over the years. Some have been quite small, so in 2015 when I received some three-foot tall bare-root Romeo cherry bushes from them, it blew me over! Now that Gurneys no longer has a lifetime guarantee on things, I just order wherever it is cheapest. Be sure to use the coupon. Then they will also keep sending email reminders that also contain more coupons.

2 Likes

My Carmine was bigger from Gurney’s than Honeyberries USA. Both survived, I still have them, love them. I’m going to add a Juliet, I want one.
I got the Carmine Jewel for 7 bucks! Best deal ever!

2 Likes

I got mine from honeyberry and they were bare root about six inches long. I think I paid about $20 a piece for them. They grew to about 12 to 26" last year. Crimsons passion grew the most. Juliet the least but that had to send up a new shoot. The original one died for some reason.

1 Like

I bought 2 Juliet from Gurneys last year and they were a good size… 24" or more.

Yes. And if you called and they said “bareroot,” I’d imagine they’d be the same as what I got. Although it could be different from year to year.

1 Like

Gurney’s is a rip off, go to the sister site and pay half as much.
I put the same items in a shopping cart at both, and after the $25 off at Gurney’s and the free postage at the sister site here are the totals

Gurney’s 67.97
Henry Fields 41.98

Items are Ka-Bluey Blueberry
Juliet Bush Cherry

I bet items to both sites ship from the same warehouse nursery.

Overall the Gardens Alive holdings which include Gurney’s, Henry Fields, Spring Hill, etc are decent places for nurseries that use heavy marketing. Some of our favorite nurseries have their own problems. Bay Laurel’s Lizzie Bordon root pruning style. Raintree’s quality drop, etc,. Raintree is for sale. Or was a few months ago, don’t know now?

3 Likes

Andrew I give you props for the 19th century axe murderer reference. She was ‘acquitted’ though…

“Lizzie Borden took an axe
And gave her mother forty whacks.
When she saw what she had done,
She gave her father forty-one.”

3 Likes

As we acquit Bay Laurel for it’s actions too. I’ll still buy from them.

I only buy from Gurneys with a 50% off code :relaxed:

1 Like

it’s still cheaper at Henry Fields because they offer free shipping. Unless shipping is less than 2 dollars at Gurneys? As the price at Henry F. is almost half, 2 dollars more than half. If you were to buy more items you may make out, but everything is half the price and it’s from the same place. They use the same photos even.

Oh now Henry Fields has 25% off, code is 0644482 The free postage was a better offer, depending on how much you’re ordering. For me it was better.

3 Likes

Hi Brad.
I just bough carmine jewel and Juliet sour cherry trees to plant. Can you update how are yours now? Do they ok and have fruit yet. Thank you Brady. Vincent.

Thank you so much for all information. I Just bought Juliet Cherry to plant. Don. Vincent.

Hi Vincent,
The Carmine Jewel has grown quite a bit since being planted about 2-3 years ago.
There were a few fruit last year that were picked off,still not quite ripe,before I had a chance to sample them.
This time there should be more.
Where did the Juliet come from?That looks like a sweet one. Brady

My Carmine Jewel today

1 Like