Nadia Sweet cherry x plum hybrid

Just an educated guess, I think?

Mine are light green and so is my sweet treat. They are the same age and have about 16" of growth. I gave them some 12 12 12. in the early spring. I think they will darken up with more sun.

1 Like

Nadia Mania continues:

5 Likes

You know I couldn’t hold it anymore!
I tasted my first Branchberry Nadia today.

Brix: 20.

Juice: From a Scale of one to ten. I’ll give it a 9.

Flavor: Tastes like a plum with a cherry after-taste.

Notes: Not fully ripe. Needs at least two more weeks.

Facts:

Nadia was created in New Whales by Rullo, Joseph. It is a cross between Supreme Cherry, pollen parent, x Black Amber Plum, seed parent. It was first marketed as Nadia Cherryplum and later introduced as Branchberry

The fruit on the left is a standard cherry for comparasion.

7 Likes

What pollinated your Nadia, Ulises? And will you plant the seed?

Anyone know if these are going to be a commercial thing in the USA? Are there orchards full of these things yet?

I wonder that too. They might be difficult to get consumers interested in, though. A lot of non fruit-nerds might just see them as small plums.

From its first blooms to peak bloom I used Geo Pride, Emerald Drop and Splash pluots, and for the last couple of flowers I used Candy Heart Pluerry. These fruits are from the last flowers.

Yes, I will plant all the seeds.

2 Likes

I think they are growing them in Washington.

2 Likes

Most of us want Nadia to be a large cheery. It appears we get a small plum.

3 Likes

I am going to take the advice from our esteemed Fruitnut (Steve) and wait. Besides, fruit tends to develop and ripen later the further North you go. A plum such as Burgundy tastes almost cherry like (to me) when it is fully ripened On the other hand, it merely tastes ordinary when it is harvested a week earlier. Flavors develop last.

5 Likes

Almost ready!

5 Likes

I just tasted one; and I have something to say: Don’t let their color fool you around. They are not even ripe yet.

4 Likes

I threw you off by picking one early. Why not wait until mine actually start getting ripe. I’m 2-3 weeks ahead of you and mine aren’t ripe yet.

I was just been curious. Plus, I enjoy tasting fruit a at their different stages of ripeness.

I tasted one too! The one that the bird pecked at (photo above in thread). It was starting to get too soft in that area, the other half was fairly soft but not completely ripe. Instead of letting the fruit completely rot, I tasted the non injured side. The fruit color was a deep purple and It tasted…like…a…GIANT…Cherry??? No. It tasted more like a complex flavored plum, somewhat spicy. Any cherry flavor? maybe when it ripens more. in a few weeks, at least.

1 Like

Why all my Nadia fruits stems are too long compare with yours.

4 Likes

My Nadia stems are really short too. I would rather have long stems, more cherry like. A well ripened one better taste much closer to a cherry, or else.

3 Likes

Vincent,
That is interesting. I looked back that others’ old pics of Nadia. @Bradybb also has Nadia fruit with long stems like yours. While @itheweatherman and @RichSV have Nadia fruit with short stems.

I wonder if those are all Nadia or not?

@fruitnut, do your Nadia has a long or short stem?

3 Likes

Brady and me are the same area. So maybe Nadia fruits stems are determined by the weather ? Hihi
I have only 12 fruits, All their stems are long.

1 Like