Need an apple disease id

I purchased a multi drafted DWN Apple tree three years ago. Yesterday during my orchard inspection I noticed some black twigs as well as some canker looking protrusions around the rootstock. Does picture 3 look like fire blight? Any idea what pictures 1 and 2 are? I’m not seeing these symptoms on the rest of my apple trees (these were all purchased with disease tolerance in mind).

1 Like

Could be caluse, burnot , or crown gall ???

Burr knots?

1 Like

They do kinda look like burr knots. Curious if I should remove the tree? Surprised I’m not seeing these symptoms elsewhere in my orchard.

@scottfsmith what criteria do you use to call it quits and remove a tree? Curious if I should cut my losses now and use this space for something hardier? This tree came with fuji, gala and two delicious varieties.

If the tree leaves are healthy looking and growing well I would keep it. I have a tree like that still going strong 15 years later.

Along with the burr knots you may have a bit of fireblight, not sure but monitor it.

1 Like

There was a discussion on burr knots last year. Check out the link here:

1 Like

If this is fireblight wouldnt I see dead leaves? are there other diseases that would cause blackening of branches? Not finding many pictures on the web that match up.

Huge thanks for sharing that! Awesome video.

It can just be a fungus and thats probably what it is. But FB can strike on branches as well, and thats how you can kill a big chunk of a tree, when a strike girdles a big limb its a goner.

Bummer. This tree hasnt flowered yet so im hoping its somethung else. Any tips for verifying its fireblight? Just read a couple of articles and the pictures show dead foliage near the strike point. Thanks for the feedback.

Hi! I hope it’s OK I post here. I would also like to have help id what’s happening to my Liberty apples. Not sure if it’s damage from disease, insect or combination of both? Many apples are that way and drop early.