I’d love to have everything ready to plant in pots, but I already have pots that I need to figure out what to do with. I think the realtor will tell us having a bunch of pots on the back porch is unsightly for showing a house. Putting them somewhere else is not feasible since I’d need to figure out a way to water them.
Planting at the new location before we are in the house is out. Right now all of the top soil is sitting in a neighboring lot, but they are supposed to put 6" back on by the city’s ordinance. I will be watching them on that… And the developer conveys the lot at closing on the house, rather than us buying the lot now. So I wouldn’t be able to plant on the property if I wanted to.
If I can wrangle up some garden space from my dad I can probably do a nursery bed this year. I just need to buy some rootstock. Not being able to hover over my grafts makes me nervous though. Ha!
I at least know that I want trees in the M26 class. I am thinking to split between G.210, 222, 890, and 935. I’ll take the chance on a few G.935. Presumably I will need some vigor because the soil is going to be sterilized by being piled up for the last few years and it will have no structure. I’ve walked the lot and the soil is clayey till with a bit of rock.
Good idea! I might have to do that.
Wow! Yikes! Well, that is awful. I don’t know how they wouldn’t have caught it before it got past the foundation… but I don’t know the situation. We will be on top of our developer. I’ve done building trades before (plumbing) so I know what is up in the process for the most part. Also, my sister in law can watch them build our house out their kitchen window if she wants and my parents-in-law are down the street a couple hundred yards.
But you are right, the move-in date is definitely not set in stone. Could be a late spring (probably will be now that I don’t care!?) and a wet summer and everything could be delayed by months.